Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the one “prepper” item you will go buy soon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you are doing it right with the community. Unless you can pull fire watch 24/7 at your place you are subject to having all your supplies taken by the next guy.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
      I think you are doing it right with the community. Unless you can pull fire watch 24/7 at your place you are subject to having all your supplies taken by the next guy.
      I was thinking the same thing. 3.7 million trying to fend off 325 million.
      Or maybe even a government that thinks it needs to "redistribute" all that "wealth" anyway.
      I'm not knocking it tho. Being prepared is a good thing.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
        We definitely have a group plan and have each other's back, but we also respect each families privacy. We live 3/4 to a mile from each other. Probably the most interesting part of of plan (some people will think it one of those crazy preppers deals[emoji38]) is that we have 3 rally points picked out if we every have to meet up away from our homes....for what ever reason. There are 3 remote family cemeteries on our propeties. Who would think a cemetery would be a rally point.....well us.[emoji106]

No roads or trails lead to the cemeteries. They are out in the middle of a pasture or timber. You have to know where they are. Here is one. I also have a tree stand in this one. There are deer trails all over it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

That is great, I live in the city so it is not ideal, especially with a bus stop 2 blocks away

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
            That is awesome !!!

There are roughly 3.7 million of us serious preppers in the U.S.

That leaves about 325 million people in the U S. that are living day to day with no real plan. I am sure some have some kind of plan or want to have a plan, but few actually act on it.

Our neighbor group of 4 families up here owns a total of approximately 5000-6000 acres, 600 -700 head of cattle, 1250 finished hogs (they own a hog house), 2000 acres of field corn, 1000 acres of soy beans, 200 acres of milo, an apple orchard for canning apples and making cider. Two neighbors have large chicken houses for eggs and meat if needed.

My wife and I have the smallest property by far at 63 acres. We will contribute with our garden.

This spring we are tapping maple and black walnut trees on our ground and are going to make maple and black walnut syrup. We also are the only deer hunters of the four families so we provide venison. [emoji106]. Everytime I offer to kill them a deer they say kill all you want. Thanks but we have beef. [emoji1]

Check out M.D. Creedmore channel. I am going to check out the ones that you mentioned above.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
            Having a M.A.G. (mutual assistance group) is very important.
            My wife is an RN
            Wifes side of the family is big, shes the youngest of 10
            My brother farms, about 7000a
            His son has a cow/calf operation
            Thru my work, i have a lot of connections with many othet local farmers, ranchers and such.
            Having skills with which to barter/trade and offer is a good thing.
            We get farm fresh eggs from a friend.
            Our area has center pivot irrigation, wind mills with pump jacks and i know of many solar powered wells, water is available.

One thing about rural areas vs the city.. if a stranger comes here, people notice ithem right away..here, everyone waves, many will say there hellos, ask about your family, etc.. you cant come here and blend in..you cant disappear like you can in the cities and major metro areas.

"Theyre" building $1 to $3million dollar doomsday apartments in former atlas missile silos here.. 1 is complete, another under construction, , these are cash up front, no payment plan.. supposed to harbor and sustain about 80 people.
            Talapia pond, hydroponics, rock climbing wall, armored vehicle, etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Zmaxhunter View Post
              Having a M.A.G. (mutual assistance group) is very important.
              My wife is an RN
              Wifes side of the family is big, shes the youngest of 10
              My brother farms, about 7000a
              His son has a cow/calf operation
              Thru my work, i have a lot of connections with many othet local farmers, ranchers and such.
              Having skills with which to barter/trade and offer is a good thing.
              We get farm fresh eggs from a friend.
              Our area has center pivot irrigation, wind mills with pump jacks and i know of many solar powered wells, water is available.

One thing about rural areas vs the city.. if a stranger comes here, people notice ithem right away..here, everyone waves, many will say there hellos, ask about your family, etc.. you cant come here and blend in..you cant disappear like you can in the cities and major metro areas.

"Theyre" building $1 to $3million dollar doomsday apartments in former atlas missile silos here.. 1 is complete, another under construction, , these are cash up front, no payment plan.. supposed to harbor and sustain about 80 people.
              Talapia pond, hydroponics, rock climbing wall, armored vehicle, etc..
              One thing about rural areas vs the city.. if a stranger comes here, people notice them right away..here, everyone waves, many will say there hellos, ask about your family, etc.. you cant come here and blend in..you cant disappear like you can in the cities and major metro areas.

This ^^^

A busy day on our gravel road will have 5-10 cars or tractors pass by our house. Everybody knows every one. It is kinda an event for us when a car, truck or tractor comes by.

Everyone waves including our Amish neighbors. If you think the Amish are not self reliant....think again....it is their lifestyle, and ingrained in their religious beliefs. Last week when it was 5 below zero I drove past one of the Amish schools in our area. The kids were at recess playing outside. I am sure the teacher didn't let them stay outside long in those temps, but they dang sure were playing kick ball in an area where they had cleared the snow with a horse drawn snowplow. Yes....no inside toilets at the Amish school houses. They have a boys outhouse and a girls outhouse. We have one group of 4 Amish kids aged from about 12 to 6 years old that drive a little buggy about 5-6 miles to school everyday pulled by a little Shetland pony. This time a year it has a little plastic cover over it. My wife and I call it the bubble. Of course the kids are responsible for hitching up the buggy in the morning. Unhitching and stabling the horse at school. Hitching up after school and taking care of the horse when they get home.
              Last edited by Arrowsmith; 02-24-2021, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                I haven’t seen anyone prepping for their pets. Are they on their own. LOL!
                No. They will be nice and warm next to the mashed potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                  My wife I are pretty hard core self reliant preppers. With that being said we one thing that we have not made a lot of provisions for is an emergency water supply. I keep 7 of the square blue jugs full (35 gallons) and I keep it fairly fresh. It would be easy to capture rainwater off our metal roof, but we have not done that as of yet.

We have over a 1/2 mile of the North Fabuis River that flows through our farm. We are on the headwaters of the North Fabuis. It flows down thru Missouri all the way to the Mississippi.

My neighbor has lived here for 50 years and he said he had never seen it stop flowing. It is not the prettiest, cleanest water, but with a good filter it would work for an emergency supply. I have a 2" electric submersible pump that I can run off a generator or a 5 gallon bucket would work in a pinch.

So... my item is a Big Berkey water filter.

The Big Berkey water filtration system is a top-selling and compact filtration system ideal for home. Backed by a lifetime warranty and free shipping.

I'd recommend going bigger if it's not too big of a strain. We have the Royal Berkey and it struggles keeping up with a family of 5. We're only running two filters, with plans to purchase 4 more to have backups and outfit it with 4 filters. I still wish we had gone with the imperial or crown. We use our berkey daily though and have been for a year now. Just to filter the tap water. Have rain barrels set up though (4) which could do in harder times. They say when a boil order is issued, you've already been drinking bad water for a day or two. Meh to that. We run it all through the Berkey.

For me, a generator. I borrowed one from my dad that made a noise signature that could be heard for blocks. I'd like to get a 4000-5000 watt inverter generator and build a faraday cage to store it in.

Comment

My wife looked at me like I was crazy when I got her a french press for Christmas last year. Last week I was a rockstar because of it.

Comment

If you check with your local electrical supplier.
                      They should be able to tell you your average daily wattage usage as well as your peak all time usages.

For most people, a 16kw generator is more than sufficient.
                      Generac makes a nice one that is automatic.
                      Several farms have them around here.
                      Im doing another install of 1 in May.
                      It will selfstart once a month to keep the battery charged..running it on propane..
                      If you go bigger, say a 20kw or 22kw unit, you can really start burning lots more fuel than is required to literally keep everything working.
                      For about $4k in the unit cost. Should be a quality resale feature if you happen to move.
                      People with total electric houses and large on-demand water heaters will be in trouble.
                      Ive wired some that required 3 40amp 240v circuits..the electrical demand goes up based on water flow. (gallon per minute)
                      Last edited by Zmaxhunter; 02-24-2021, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        No. They will be nice and warm next to the mashed potatoes.
                        Oh crap I can't quit laughing! Good one chew.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Fireplace logs, generator, and we are getting our chimney checked out. In march. Because everyone else is too 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                            Oh crap I can't quit laughing! Good one chew.
                            Me too...caught me off guard!!

Dang it...vizsla's are skinny.

Comment

:d:d:d:d:d

Comment

MREs

Comment

Working...
                                X