Might as well - Generators - what are you running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charles View Post
    Can you run these portable generators in your garage if you crack the garage door for air circulation? Any cons to doing this?

I was told not to due to the fear of it seeping through your garage door to the house and creating carbon monoxide issues. I just set mine under a white card table out in the snow on a small concrete side porch and let it roll.

Comment

I’m running a Honda 2000w inverter generator. Wired directly into my 5 ton gas furnace and it will heat my 4K sf house. Also has enough power to charge devices, run 6 led light bulbs, and power the tv.

Comment

Can you run these portable generators in your garage if you crack the garage door for air circulation? Any cons to doing this?
        No

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I did but it is a detached garage and I left the entry door open as well. Didn't run it long that way but figured with it being detached and away from the house, it wasn't a problem. Didn't plan on going into garage and would have raised the door if I need to be in there very long. I also considered running a fan to help blow any fumes out.

Comment

Originally posted by sv2100 View Post
            I did but it is a detached garage and I left the entry door open as well. Didn't run it long that way but figured with it being detached and away from the house, it wasn't a problem. Didn't plan on going into garage and would have raised the door if I need to be in there very long. I also considered running a fan to help blow any fumes out.

If it's detached I'd be less hesitant....except for the fact that everything in that place is going to smell like exhaust for a few weeks. I have too much hunting gear in my shop /garage to do that.

Comment

No....I wouldn’t try it. You don’t want any fumes getting in your house.

Comment

We were very fortunate & never skipped a beat with outages all around us...not sure why we were spared but will take it.

I have a 6500 that I used during the last storm & was out for 24 hours...being able to back feed through the house is really sweet. I didn't even attempt to run the central air as I was pretty sure there wouldn't be enough to kick it over, plus we had the mini-split ac going in the man cave. Probably could have run the water heater but wasn't down long enough.

Would this have enough juice to run the heater at night for a modest home?? I wouldn't even considered it till now & just gone with space heaters.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  We were very fortunate & never skipped a beat with outages all around us...not sure why we were spared but will take it.

I have a 6500 that I used during the last storm & was out for 24 hours...being able to back feed through the house is really sweet. I didn't even attempt to run the central air as I was pretty sure there wouldn't be enough to kick it over, plus we had the mini-split ac going in the man cave. Probably could have run the water heater but wasn't down long enough.

Would this have enough juice to run the heater at night for a modest home?? I wouldn't even considered it till now & just gone with space heaters.

Heat is gas or electric?

Comment

Here is a good reference of watts off Generac’s site.

Comment

You can but you run a very good risk of whoever is in the house taking a dirt nap. Just happened in Dallas. 23 year old Honduran died doing this. His wife and child barely made it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Heat is gas or electric?
                        Electric...I've considered a home back up but been here over 20 years & needed a generator like only 4 times. They would have to run a line & just doesn't seem the cost would be worth it??

A big ole hurricane is the only thing that spooks me.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                          Electric...I've considered a home back up but been here over 20 years & needed a generator like only 4 times. They would have to run a line & just doesn't seem the cost would be worth it??

A big ole hurricane is the only thing that spooks me.

You are going to need a big generator for electric heat and central AC based on my reading/research and that chart I posted above. I was thinking about getting a 8,000-9,000Watt Predator/Champion and buying one or two cheap 5,000 btu window units in the bedroom to run in case I had a emergency like a tornado or major hail storm where we had electricity affected. the HOA won't give a crap about a window unit in the window for awhile then. It would be much cheaper and easier than a whole home and I don't frankly have the room for one of those myself..

Comment

Generac 27kw

Comment

Does anyone have a transfer panel hooked up? If so what was the going cost at the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Parts and labor on mine was close to a grand I think. Would be nice to be your own electrician. More than I wanted to pay but it’s idiot proof and served its purpose. We are going to re visit the Generac generator. For a whole house generator 22k it was $11,000. Now, that’s a chunk of change for us; however, you don’t have to run the whole house. For example, if you have a two story home you may power the first floor only etc etc. Btw Smart this thing only took up around five feet on the side of home.
                                We had a Generac when we lived in the Wet Mountains of Colorado. One night during a storm the whole 900 acre development lost power. Within three seconds the Generac kicked on. I barely heard it but it never missed a lick.

Comment

Working...
                                X