Wild Hog Fat Render?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Hog Fat Render?

Anybody ever do it? I've heard to use the leaf lard on a farm pig but do wild hogs have much?

I did a small batch last month
    Came out really nice

I also used it to make some chicharrones

Had a nice nutty flavor to the oil after rendering

Comment

Big fat hogs will have plenty, if they’ve been eating the right stuff. My hogs are mainly sustained on oak acorns, and their leaf fat content is remarkable. I have about 5 pounds in the freezer waiting for whenever I get the time to render it.

R2 I’ve got a recipe but would be interested in how you went about yours since it was recent.

Comment

This is cool. I’ve never heard of doing this. Never thought about processing your own lard.
        I had to look up “leaf fat” and then how to render it and I will be keeping mine from the hogs I kill for now on.
        I’ve always seen it there when I’m gutting one but never knew it was good for anything, now I know.

Comment

My family has always processed our own beef and pork. When I was little I can remember the process for pigs was a little different. They would call all of our family ( seems like in October) and tell them it was time for the hog killin. They would gut, dip in a huge pot of hot water and scrape or shave all the hair. Then they would skin and cut it in to little strips. They would put that in another big cast iron pot and render the lard. The skin would come to the top, and the would skim it off with wire strainers. Put it on a table covered with butcher paper. They called it cracklings, and would eat it like it was the best thing they ever tasted. They would cut up the meat and everyone would get a share. Everyone brought tin buckets and they split up the rendered lard as well.
          Now I just skin close to the hide and hang them in the cooler. When I process them a week later I trim the fat an mix it in my sausages. I freeze any left over fat for my deer sausage.

Comment

Talking about a lost art and good for the ones keeping it alive. I remember this as a kid mentioned above and that’s part of the good old days I don’t think I would like. Hopefully things never get that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
              Talking about a lost art and good for the ones keeping it alive. I remember this as a kid mentioned above and that’s part of the good old days I don’t think I would like. Hopefully things never get that bad.
              The older I get, the more I want to get back to the old ways. (When my back will allow it.)
              I’m really getting a kick out of making my own bacon and pickling vegetables. This will be another old school thing to add to the list.

Comment

I was shunned from the age of 4 to my 6th birthday for not saving the excess oil from a can of tuna.

Comment

Working...
                X