Dreaded medical procedure!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump

I had #5 today- every 5 years since colorectal cancer killed my Dad at 71. Spread to his liver, 6 months from diagnosis/ surgery on Ash Wednesday 2001 to burying him Sept. 22. The doctor said it looked ok.

Tough test to do? Not as tough as standing in front if your Dad’s casket and your Mom so upset his doctor did not insist he get them.

I found that if you mix the laxative powder with cold Gatoraid Zero and keep it cold in the fridge it’s ‘not that bad’ to drink 8 oz glasses.

If over 50 and anybody tells you to do an occult blood test kit (wipe poop into a vial) instead, tell them to f-off and you want to talk to a real doctor.

We still miss ya, Dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had mine at 47. No problem. In fact, it was the best nap I have had since kindergarten!!!

Comment

Make it a game and try to see how long you can "hold out" after drinking the prep liquid.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
          Just got the notice from my family Doc that I have to have the dreaded medical procedure that most men over 50 are suppose to get every 10 years, YES the dreaded colonoscopy!

I have to go get tested for Covid 19 3 days prior or they will not do it!
          Don’t do it.

Get a FIT test done every year. Fecal Immunochemical Test. Put the poop on card, send it in. Much easier and more accurate. Colonoscopys can miss the depressed polyps. It’s what I do. If your Doc doesn’t, find another doc.

Comment

Man
            I might have to go finally see my Primary care doctor so he start a file on me and get me one of these test.

Dad called last week. His cancer Dr told him he'll see him in 10 years. Dad's 71 and has/had bladder cancer. He's had a urostomy(sp?) bag for a few years now. When Grandpa died 198? he had colon cancer. Not sure if it's the cancer that killed him. I was young
            Dad's been hounding me to get checked.....
            I've been procrastinating. I'll be 50 this year....

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
              Make it a game and try to see how long you can "hold out" after drinking the prep liquid.
              Dad tried that years ago when he had his first one.
              He was on his way to work, 2 blocks, he didn't make it.....

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                Man
                I might have to go finally see my Primary care doctor so he start a file on me and get me one of these test.

Dad called last week. His cancer Dr told him he'll see him in 10 years. Dad's 71 and has/had bladder cancer. He's had a urostomy(sp?) bag for a few years now. When Grandpa died 198? he had colon cancer. Not sure if it's the cancer that killed him. I was young
                Dad's been hounding me to get checked.....
                I've been procrastinating. I'll be 50 this year....
                Man go get it done, don’t wait any longer. Had my first one a month or so ago at 45 due to my dads history. Dr wanted me to have one at 40 but like most I put it off due the dreaded prep. Everything was good with mine will have another one in 5 years. The prep was actually not that bad, the hardest part was drinking the nasty prep fluid and not being able to eat the day before. Plus I was skeptical of the anesthesia as I have never been put under and didn’t know what to expect. It was the best “nap” I’ve ever had. When I woke up first thing I asked if they were done as it was like nothing happened. Very easy and nothing to be dreading.
                Last edited by Electrican; 02-03-2021, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Easy Peasy. I had one done last Friday

Comment

I had one done when I was 17, well before I went under they asked me if I would allow students to watch the exam. I thought sure why not they’re probably older students studying to be doctors. Well I was wrong... it was a neighboring high school student program. They were in a medical program that would allow them to see procedures in different fields. Before I could change my mind I crashed out, lol the class was made of like 90% girls...

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                      Don’t do it.

Get a FIT test done every year. Fecal Immunochemical Test. Put the poop on card, send it in. Much easier and more accurate. Colonoscopys can miss the depressed polyps. It’s what I do. If your Doc doesn’t, find another doc.

I’m venturing an opinion based on what I just read- I’m not a physician. Your mileage may vary.....

I read 1-time FIT tests are 75-80% successful in detecting cancer. Colonoscopies are 95% successful. If you have a FIT test annually, the statistics get better/ higher of detecting cancer. FIT tests are done annually, colonoscopies every 5 years. Both can miss a cancer.

What I also read is if there is a history of colon cancer in your family, they recommend colonoscopies. Maybe because pre-cancerous polyps are removed.

I’m not a Gastroenterologist, just expressing my personal opinion.

The best? Probably a FIT test annually and a colonoscopy every 5 years.

Stay healthy, hunt hard. Life’s too short.

Comment

Based on what additional reading on the FIT test I want to apologize for my earlier post. I am in a higher risk category due to my father dying from colorectal cancer and it’s an emotional issue for me.

Comment

These are a cake walk. Never have understood all the whining.

Now samples taken off your prostate checking for cancer is an entirely different situation.

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
                            I had one done when I was 17, well before I went under they asked me if I would allow students to watch the exam. I thought sure why not they’re probably older students studying to be doctors. Well I was wrong... it was a neighboring high school student program. They were in a medical program that would allow them to see procedures in different fields. Before I could change my mind I crashed out, lol the class was made of like 90% girls...
                            Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bbreezen View Post
                              excuse me while i whip this out...
                              lol

Comment

I have been of the opinion that the prep was worse than the actual procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X