Clear All

You need a Weatherby

Comment

25-06 and 300 Win Mag

Comment

.270wsm.

Comment

7mm-08 and the 300 are great choices.
          Add a .25-06 and you’ll have a trifecta!

Comment

I have a Browning X-bolt .338 Win mag that might be looking for a new home soon. Bought it for an Alaska bear hunt that never happened. Mounted a Monarch 2.5-10x50 with BDC reticle and zeroed it for 1.5" up at 100yds, then worked up some sub MOA hand loads with Barnes 185 gr TSX bullets and she just sits there in the safe looking like the Queen. Stock is Synthetic with Coyote tan finish. Sweet shooter with not much recoil for a loudenboomer. A lot less than my custom 338WSM with the same bullet weight.

Comment

I reload for about 25 calibers. I have 416 Rigby down to 22 Hornet. I seem to always wind up with something in my hands toward the middle of the range. The 35 Whelen is my particular favorite caliber. But to tell the truth, very little game can not be effectively taken with a 30-06. Don't get me wrong, I love the odd ball calibers. But a 22, 30-06, and a 12 gauge are all that is really needed. But where is the fun in that.

Comment

A 243 or 25-06 to go along with 30-06 or 7MM would fit your requirements and collection very well. But honestly, the two calibers you are looking at are pretty dang good.

I just have a tendency to like smaller caliber chamberings and a larger gap between calibers in the closet.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                  Very good choices, and I would add a .45-70 Lever action just for the fun factor.
                  i like the way you think,,, i have had several calibers during my life, but the 45-70 is the pick of the litter, always was, and always will be!

Comment

I mainly deer hunt with a 308 win..also a 300 win mag...
                    I like a 45-70 lever also...

Comment

.243 and a .270

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                        Your choices of 7mm-08 and 300 Win Mag are great choices but in my opinion are too much overlap. For example, both cartridges are great for elk but there are better calibers than the 7mm-08 on the bottom end as an example.

If I were buying two guns to cover me for deer size game up through moose for example, with the caveat of readily available ammo, I would choose the .243 Win and the 7mm Rem Magnum.

I grew up hunting with a 270 Winchester and it will do everything you mentioned in one rifle, just like the 30-06, I just am partial to the 270 because that is what my dad started me with.
                        I consolidated all my rifles and left myself with a 243 and 7mm. Can’t think of anything I can’t go kill and have fun doing it.

Comment

I recently went a similar route. Tikka T3X in .243 and a Tikka T3 Roughtech in .300WM. The Roughtech has a factory muzzle break installed and is a dream to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                            I consolidated all my rifles and left myself with a 243 and 7mm. Can’t think of anything I can’t go kill and have fun doing it.

Could not agree more with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kranks View Post
                              I recently went a similar route. Tikka T3X in .243 and a Tikka T3 Roughtech in .300WM. The Roughtech has a factory muzzle break installed and is a dream to shoot.

Have you got the .243 set up and dialed in yet? Would be interested in hearing what you did as I am seriously thinking about picking up a Tikka T3X Ultralight in .243 Win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                                In the same boat waiting on two being built at the moment... 7mag and 6cm. Surprised at the support for having both 7-08 and 300wm. I see overlap as mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                                X