No announcement yet.

Nilgai, .308 or .270?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

308 with out a doubt would be the better choice. I took one down with a Ruger .375 shooting Hornady Dangerous game series 300 grain. I think the .270 would be a risk.

Comment

.270 is deadly on Nilgai cows. Ive never shot a bull with one but I would assume its effective.

Comment

Throat patch then with either one, take your most accurate and shoot a good partition. I’ve shot them in throat patch, high neck, and frontal chest shots, the nilgai dropped Where they stood. I’ve shot them behind the shoulder and had to track them for several hundred yards. If they are walking away don’t be afraid to shoot one at the base of the tail, that will dump them, you break down their running gear and follow up shot to the chest or neck. A good set of shooting sticks will also help.
        Last edited by stickman; 09-24-2020, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Either one with the heaviest bonded bullet it will shoot accurately.

Comment

I took mine with 308. 1 shot wouldve done it but the 2nd helped convince him he was done. 270 would be just as effective, pick which one you feel most comfortable with.

Comment

270 for my vote !

Comment

Which ever one you can shoot the best and do lots of walking with. Make sure you have a good bullet.

Comment

I would use a .308 if I had both. But a .270 will kill one

Comment

Good thread. I like the trajectory of the .270 better and it's sure as heck big enough to kill a nilgai. People kill elk, moose and everything else in N. America with it. Take what you shoot best and know your upper limits of shot distance and trajectory. At the end of the day, both will do.

Comment

Those are the only 2 calibers I’ve ever hunted nilgai with, just be ready to work the rifle, I’ve killed them by the trailer load to make sausage for high rollers, nilgai won’t be able to tell the difference, in for LDPs

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                        .308 and don't even consider anything but a neck shot. I've watched numerous bulls shot behind the shoulder with a .300 & .300Ultra and never be recovered.

Neck shot. Drop them. Hit em again if they are still kicking, they will get up!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

That’s because they were shot in the guts.

Of those two, I would take the 270 and the heaviest bullet you can shoot… I don’t believe I would even consider the 308.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yawn

Comment

Here is the off button, hit it with the rifle you shoot best and shoot a Partition or Accubond and you golden!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Either one will work just fine. If you shoot them broadside, shoot them IN the shoulder. If you are behind the crease you are likely out of the vitals. I'm a big fan of a frontal. Blow the pipes off the top of the heart and it is game over. Front gives you the least to penetration before getting to the goodies. That is how I shot my off range oryx in NM. 5 yard recovery. Shooting animals "behind the shoulder" leads to a lot of long blood trails. Im all about whatever is needed for my projectile to pass BETWEEN the shoulders.

Comment

I’ve personally witnessed a large bull shot with a 270 put right on the throat patch drop in its tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X