308 recoil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

308 recoil

Regarding factory ammo, is there an ammo that kicks less than most? I'm aware of the Hornady 125 lite, wondering if there are some standard loads that have less recoil? Thanks,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

308 recoil

Originally posted by wdtorque View Post
    Regarding factory ammo, is there an ammo that kicks less than most? I'm aware of the Hornady 125 lite, wondering if there are some standard loads that have less recoil? Thanks,

Maybe some experts will chime in but I haven’t noticed much of a difference between factory loads on the same gun. I typically stay within 10 to 15 grains on bullet weight, I buy them sight them in and buy a new one lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Getting a good brake on the end of your muzzle will probably get you better results with recoil.
      I like the self timing Hellfire personally.

Comment

Different ammo is barely noticeable, muzzle break.

Comment

Put a APA little ******* brake and felt recoil will be way less. My 308 felt like a 223 after.

Comment

I've heard Remington makes some lighter loads, not sure about for a 308.

In the world of guns, I don't think a .308 has high enough kick relative to some out there to be considered heavy recoil, and therefore they don't make a lighter load. I have an M77 Ruger in 308 that kicked like a mule. Worse than my 7 Mag does now.

Maybe someone can load some up for ya?

Comment

Go with the lightest bullet you can find.

Comment

Remington makes a reduced recoil. That is your best option.

Comment

It's against the laws of physics to get the same performance without the kick just by changing ammo. Yes, you can go to a lighter bullet and mitigate the recoil a little but a full power load is still a full power load. There are a few options though.

Load down the .308 to 30/30 velocities. There's the mentioned Hornady 125 lite but it's still pushing over 2600fps. You could handload a lighter 30/30 bullet at 2100fps and see a bigger reduction in recoil.

Add a muzzlebrake or silencer. Both will reduce the recoil a lot but some shooters that are already jumpy about recoil are affected just as bad or worse by the blast of a muzzlebrake. The silencer would be the best choice but if you try a muzzlebrake use a radial vs a ported brake, the muzzle blast isn't as bad.

Alter the stock. If it doesn't already have a good recoil pad, add one. Make sure the LOP (length of pull) fits the shooter and they can get behind the rifle and feel comfortable. There are certain stocks that are either too stiff or too narrow at the butt that make recoil worse. Weight can also be added to the stock to make the rifle heavier and reduce felt recoil.

Give up on the .308 and get something that kicks less to begin with. A .243, 6.5 Grendel, or similar cartridge is more than enough for Texas whitetails. You didn't mention why the shooter has issues with the .308. Kid, injury, or new shooter?

If it's just a new shooter you can train someone to handle more recoil but it takes time. Never fire more than 5 rounds in a row without a long break in between series. Make sure they are squeezing the trigger so that each shot is a surprise. Even experienced shooter can have issues with the magnums. I had to train myself to shoot my 45-70 pushing a 350gr at 2300fps with out flinching.

Comment

Comment

Thanks all. I gather 308 ammo has about the same recoil, unless it is a "lite" load.
                      Was hoping for a lighter recoiling ammunition option, but....

Comment

Thanks all. I gather 308 ammo has about the same recoil, unless it is a "lite" load.
                        Was hoping for a lighter recoiling ammunition option, but....
                        All .308 loads of the same bullet weight and velocity will recoil the same. Loads with less velocity will recoil less. Remington makes a managed recoil load as mentioned above.

Comment

Built in muzzle brake and a good set of hearing protection!

Comment

AR-10 and it goes way down

Comment

what gun are you shooting ?

Comment

Working...
                              X