A word about Argentina dove hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A word about Argentina dove hunts

I see them for sale here fairly frequently, and there are certainly some good bargains to be had second hand from people who bought them at auctions and can't go for whatever reason. That being said, before you book or buy a hunt, understand that the lodge fees are minimal compared to the flight and transfer costs and the cost of shells. Any reputable outfitter will tell you that the shells are where the lodges make their money. Before you go into the field, your host will ask you how many shells you wish to shoot on that hunt, and only that many will be provided. That is your protection from spending over your budget. It's not unusual to have a $5000.00+ fee at the end for shells if you shoot a lot. Other fees to ask about are license fees, gun rental fees, tips, and transfer fees. Also ask how long it takes to get from the lodge to the fields where you will be hunting. If it is close by, expect to have your mid day meal at the lodge in relative comfort. The food at the lodge is generally gourmet. If it is an hour or more away, expect to be served a less formal meal in a tent near the hunt area. Most of the outfitters are reputable, but the more questions you ask the better prepared that you will be for extraneous costs. IMHO, this is a trip every bird hunter should have on their bucket list, and it's a nice trip even for a non-hunter companion.

Good post. I am not at all familiar and would've overlooked some of this. Just curious... Did you learn the hard way? Sounds like there's a story behind this.

Comment

I have heard of a guy with a $9000 shell bill at the end of a 4 day hunt. Needless to say, he shot a LOT of birds!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
        Good post. I am not at all familiar and would've overlooked some of this. Just curious... Did you learn the hard way? Sounds like there's a story behind this.
        No, I did my homework. I know people who go every year, and they clued me in. I had a great time. It was expensive, but not more than I was prepared for.

Comment

I am leaving a week from today for Argentina. You are correct the peripheral fees are huge. Of course this is a fact I understood prior to booking the hunt.

Comment

I gotta ask, cost per shell?

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
              I gotta ask, cost per shell?
              Dont hold me to this but I think I remember reading while I was researching a hunt like this somewhere around $12 per box.

Comment

$9k shell bill would be 750 boxes of shells in 4 days, my whole body hurts just thinking about it.

Comment

I think most of the auction hunts that go up for sale here happen once people who bought them figure this part out.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                    $9k shell bill would be 750 boxes of shells in 4 days, my whole body hurts just thinking about it.

I think someone’s hooker bill got added to his shell bill [emoji50]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you look around some outfitters include a certain # of shells in the cost of the hunt. I know at Posta Del Norte, the hunt is $3k and they include 3000 shells. That is an afternoon hunt, 2 full days, and a morning hunt. No body in our group went over on shells and I personally didn't want to shoot a shotgun again for a while. We were there a year ago this past Sunday.

Comment

We paid $12 a box, and my son and I shot 2000 rounds per day. That sounds like a lot, but there were some guys from North Carolina there who were shooting double the shells that we were.

Comment

For just an enjoyable hunt how many shells would you figure on?

Comment

Yep, this is the most important thing to remember. I spent $6,000.00 on shells/gun rental/license hunting for 3.5 days(We went back to the compound after one morning hunt due to too much drinking.) I did get in the 1000 bird club though, two days in a row.
                            Last edited by SB09; 01-23-2020, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                              For just an enjoyable hunt how many shells would you figure on?
                              Tough to say. Everyone in our group shot well over what they had planned to shoot. It's an unexplainable experience.

500-1000 would be my guess on that.

Comment

Working...
                              X