Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandhill crane myth of ribeye in the sky

Sandhill crane myth of ribeye in the sky

This past weekend we shot a sandhill crane and I cooked it two separate ways. The initial time was in a skillet with the four single side of the Brest
    The second way I cooked it on the Mesquite Grill with salt pepper and fajita seasoning and cut it in half. This way was much better than the cast-iron skillet in olive oil technique. It has more of a density of a sirloin versus a ribeye. The flavor is not as strong of a waterfowl flavor but still has a water fowl or dove flavor. We enjoyed the dinner but I would not categorize it on the same level of a sirloin, ribeye, tenderloin,
    But if you love the flavor of water fowl, I would say it is better than goose but on the same level as dove.

It’s just a saying. Not meant literally. It is a fair bit better than duck/goose.

Comment

What shot did you end up using

Comment

I’m gonna be the guy that said you over cooked it! We have shot and cooked a lottttt of Sandhills and people always eat the whole plate.

Rare versus medium rare is filet to liver on a sandhill

Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would say it’s “ribeye of the sky” because it rhymes. I also think it means the best tasting thing flying and I would have to say compared to a goose and most ducks it’s a ribeye and the others are cow poop!!

Rare is only way to eat it.

Comment

Yeah I don't think that was actually meant to be a side-by-side comparison to black angus.

Comment

Does not take many breasts to feed a family though! them are some big suckers!

Comment

How much does a hunt like that cost?

Comment

We cook them and canadas medium rare over hot fire and they both come out exactly like sirloin. More on the rare than medium side. People have actually thought it was beef sirloin. Over cook and its dog food

Comment

Yep
                    I used a probe for medium rare

They do feed a lot

It is better than other waterfowl

Hunt was free. Friends place

Bluebird day with no wind= horrible sandhill hunt

It was fun
                    We got shots but just 10 yards too high
                    They would decoy in but flare just out of shooting distances

Comment

I myself have no urge to shoot one I will never know how rare to eat one!

Comment

It tastes like ribeye compared to that other **** in the sky.

Comment

Perhaps sous vide is the answer?

Comment

Hard sear in cast iron, then to 125 internal temp in a 500 degree oven. Perfect medium rare. That was lunch today.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post

It was fun
                              We got shots but just 10 yards too high
                              They would decoy in but flare just out of shooting distances

Fun fact you can shoot lead shot for Sandhills, adds some mighty distance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X