7mm08 Managed Recoil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7mm08 Managed Recoil

Anybody have any experience with any of the managed or low recoil option for the 7mm08? How was performance

We used the Remington stuff when my son was younger, if I remember correctly we never had a pass through.
    It did work, but wasn’t ideal.
    When he got a little older I would have him practice with the manger recoil, then slip in the real thing for the hunt. He never noticed until I showed him the brass. (I had the managed stuff marked with a black sharpie since they look identical out of the box.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
      We used the Remington stuff when my son was younger, if I remember correctly we never had a pass through.
      It did work, but wasn’t ideal.
      When he got a little older I would have him practice with the manger recoil, then slip in the real thing for the hunt. He never noticed until I showed him the brass. (I had the managed stuff marked with a black sharpie since they look identical out of the box.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      I’m looking at once they are proficient enough to take a deer that 100yd Max rule will be adhered to anyway. Main thing is don’t want to create a flinch early on as this will be 4 and 6yr olds with a youth rifle.

Comment

Thats what my daughter uses in her 08. Hornady 120gr. She's knocked down a couple deer and pigs with it at 100yds. Doesn't have much kick at all.

Comment

Originally posted by porkrind View Post
          Thats what my daughter uses in her 08. Hornady 120gr. She's knocked down a couple deer and pigs with it at 100yds. Doesn't have much kick at all.
          Perfect

Comment

You know your kids better than I do, but shooting a 7mm-08 is asking a lot from a 4 and 6 yr old. What are you using for a rest? Mine are similar age and I'd like to get them going soon.

Comment

Get a supressor if you can, kids are more scared of the noise than the recoil from my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                You know your kids better than I do, but shooting a 7mm-08 is asking a lot from a 4 and 6 yr old. What are you using for a rest? Mine are similar age and I'd like to get them going soon.
                They’ll be off bags for a while

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
                Get a supressor if you can, kids are more scared of the noise than the recoil from my experience.
                Honestly I won’t spend the money on a suppressor. I would never use one due to length and weight. My kids are good with their muffs for the noise. They’ve been next to me lots shooting my rifles.

Comment

Any of them ought to do great within 100 yards. I grew up shooting down loaded hand loads in a 7mm-08. Great kid gun.

Comment

They work ok. Sister use to run them and have seen them used our of a .270 with good success. But if going to be having a 4-6 year old use it and if going to buy a rifle for them have you thought about running a .22-250 with a good bullet? Be much tamer on recoil and noise and kill any deer in Texas stone cold dead if using a good bullet.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                      They work ok. Sister use to run them and have seen them used our of a .270 with good success. But if going to be having a 4-6 year old use it and if going to buy a rifle for them have you thought about running a .22-250 with a good bullet? Be much tamer on recoil and noise and kill any deer in Texas stone cold dead if using a good bullet.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
                      When the OP mentioned the kids were 4 and 6 this was my first thought.

Comment

It's great. My son has killed veral animals with it. We used the Hornady Custom Lite 120gr SST. Did the number on several pigs and deer out to about 120yds.

Your info shows you're in San Angelo. I'll be in Eldorado starting the day after Christmas. I could bring it and meet up with you and give it to you if you can't find any by then.

Comment

Here's just a few.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BJ DUPLECHAIN View Post
                            Here's just a few.
                            Nice. I can get that ammo and they’re getting the rifle for Christmas just curious on performance.

22-250 is out there is only a 4ft lb difference in 22-250 and reduced 7mm08 recoil. If recoil is still too much we have a youth .223 that can be used longer. The 7mm08 has a spacer to add as they get older for longer LOP and ammo can go way up and be used on true big game. This will be a do all for them until they get older and buy their own guns

Comment

The Hornady custom lite is what my son took his first deer with at 5 years old from a 7mm-08. Was followed up by a ram at 6 and 2 more deer at 7. Never once bothered by the recoil. He’s 12 now and shoots a lightweight 308 with Nosler Accubonds so was not a recoil shy fellow.

Comment

Working...
                              X