School me on Crossbows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on Crossbows

My son has really expressed an interest in bow hunting but I know he is a few years away from being ready with a real bow. Looking to get him a crossbow for Christmas but know nothing about them would like a good quality xbow that won’t break the bank

Any recommendations or what to look for and what to avoid

Centerpoint sniper 370.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't buy anything just yet. All the new stuff is still coming out.

Comment

Originally posted by mako191 View Post
        Centerpoint sniper 370.

These are fantastic crossbows for the money.

Comment

My boy has a wicked ridge. It is a really nice crossbow. I haven't had any issues with it. I really like the ones with the built in cocking strings. I am sure I would misplace them if they weren't attached. Get a bipod and make a close ground blind and get after it.

Comment

3rd the Centerpoint sniper 370. Can get a pkg deal fir under 300.

Comment

Just make sure you get recurve limbs. I’ve been through the wheeled bow fiasco too many times when cables and strings get messed up by dryfires or string abrasions. You can easily change strings in the field and decock without having to shoot them.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
                Just make sure you get recurve limbs. I’ve been through the wheeled bow fiasco too many times when cables and strings get messed up by dryfires or string abrasions. You can easily change strings in the field and decock without having to shoot them.
                My Mission allows me to decock and change strings in the field if you have an Allen wrench and it won’t allow you to dry fire. Unfortunately it is probably more expensive than the OP is wanting.

Comment

How old is your boy?

Comment

In for the reply’s for the same reason as op.

Comment

He is 8 now.

Comment

I’ve got that sniper 370 as well, good, cheap, no problems, have taken several hogs with it

Comment

Brother has an Excalibur Micro and loves it. Considered getting one myself. It’s a recurve app easy maintenance and less moving parks to screw up.

Comment

I have a ten point. Both my kids can shoot 1 inch groups at 30 yards. Get a Caldwell field pod so you can put it on it and he will not have to hold it. Crossbow and field pod were the best purchases I ever made for my kids hunting with me.

PS. I strongly recommend getting a crossbow with crank up cocking. It is worth its weight in gold in a blind with a kid especially in the dark

Comment

I bought one used off of here for 125 bucks. Works fine my daughter has taken a hog an 2 deer with it. Dont think brand matters that much, if you keep kids to 20y or less and make sure they practice. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X