Texas road trip ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas road trip ideas

I was thinking about taking my boys for a road trip around Texas this summer and I was looking for ideas of things that we must see or do on the trip. We have no dates, plans, or directions yet, so if you have a good idea for things in Texas, let me hear them. The boys are 15 and 17 and all our trips have been out of state so they haven't done much here. They did see the Alamo when they were about 5, so basically they don't remember it.

Subbed, sounds like fun

Comment

Balmorhea State park for a great swim. Ft. Davis to get out of the humidity and heat. Carlsbad caverns to get below ground to beat the heat. Hike Guadalupe Peak in the morning before it gets too hot. All of these are fairly close to each other by West Texas standards.

Comment

Where are you starting from? West Texas/ Big Bend is a good one. Can also cross over to Mexico if you have your passport.

Comment

If you're going to do it, you've gotta see Big Bend. They may or not appreciate it at the time but take them there and it will be in their memory forever. I was fortunate to spend 2-3 weeks a year for 3 years out there hiking and exploring, night time drives looking for road critters and it made a mark. I spoke about it often to photographer friend and he just went out in April for a 3 day kayak trip. He is already planning 2 trips a year to go back. He told me he regrets not visiting sooner. Definitely a must do.

Balmorhea is nice too.

Look up the Fandango spots as well, See where they buried Dom.

Comment

Marathon, Alpine, Marfa, Big Bend, Terlingua, River Road. Great road trip.

Comment

How many Days? And when you say Road Trip of Texas are you saying he whole state?

Comment

in

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                  No question the best area to road trip.

Comment

Johnson Ranch near Fredericksburg. Can climb on the smallest Air Force 1 jet.

Comment

We’ve been doing these with our kids, I think we are going to do the hill country next month and possibly big bend next year.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                        This. And play a round at Lajitas golf course.

Comment

We did the Texas Forts Trail one year (on spring break I think) and it was pretty interesting. Did the Big Bend, Marfa, Alpine also. You could do a trip every year in this state and not see everything.

Comment

my wife use to open a Texas map, close her eyes and put her finger on the map. That’s where we would take a long weekend with the kids. She would search the area and we would hit up all the near by attractions. Some of the best trips we have ever taken.

Comment

I vote the gulf coast down south, west Texas is cool as stated, enchanted rock in the hill country, the Guadalupe river is nice. See the bat caves in the hill country, or in Austin under that bridge. Big bend, Davis mountains, concan or garner state park.

Comment

Working...
                              X