No announcement yet.

Rainwater Collection for Potable Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any idea what bulk water delivery runs? Wife is looking to find someone to call. It's tough because we're currently in the Houston area so it's a bit harder to check in to things up there. We're looking to make the move during the summer after the kids are out of school but we're wanting to get the ball rolling on the things we can get started.

Comment

Our monthly usage seems reasonable but I’m still not sure the current well could keep up. Seems like maybe the January reading was way late resulting in a high total that month and low total in February. Going to price bulk potable water delivery. I want to make it work. We have septic and electric figured out, just need water to fall in to place then we will build. I’m not sure I want to risk the $$$ to drill another well elsewhere on the property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You could drill another well for what it will cost to set up a rain water system big enough for your family. There can be a lot of dry months here and you would easily drain all your storage. I have a 24,000 gallon system for my gardens and water gardens and it is barely enough. To include my house, I would say it would have to be closer to 80,000 gallons. The cost of storage and gutters is bad enough but that many tanks looks kind of unsightly as well.
        Attached Files

Comment

We installed an 18k gallon tank with gutter system catching rain on an 1,800 sf roof. With the average rainfall we have and this amount of roof I think we could have gone to 35k gallons. However we don’t live there full time. It works great and has a filtration system with a UV light when it’s pumped through to the house. We drink it and it’s fine but you can also add chlorine to the water if your worried about bacteria. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4252.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	24605365

Comment

It can be done, but you will have to re-think the way you use water on a daily basis. Our place is in Clay County, and water is scarce. When we bought the place we drilled a well and got a couple of gallons per hour well- which is common in the area. We sunk a 1400 gallon tank in the ground for storage.
            After a while we figured out the well wasn't going to cut it- the water was too salty and ate up plumbing, pumps, shower heads, hot water heater, etc. So for the bunkhouse we added 4 1000 gallon black tanks like the one shown below, and a triple cartridge filtration system. The system has a sediment filter, a charcoal filter, and a UV light built in. The bunkhouse barn is 24x60 and we catch about 800 gallons of water with each 1" of rain.
            For the house now we haul water from town. Since we're not out there full time, it's not too bad to do- I have a 210 gallon truck bed tank from Tractor Supply and that will get us several weekends.
            Here's a link to a Texas rain catch publication- lots of good info here: http://www.twdb.texas.gov/publicatio...3rdedition.pdf

If you get on this site you can call up wells in the area and see reports from drilling that will tell you what kind of water rates you can expect and how deep the aquifer is.
            https://tceq.maps.arcgis.com/apps/we...daff19eb326fe2
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TXRM1280 View Post
              We installed an 18k gallon tank with gutter system catching rain on an 1,800 sf roof. With the average rainfall we have and this amount of roof I think we could have gone to 35k gallons. However we don’t live there full time. It works great and has a filtration system with a UV light when it’s pumped through to the house. We drink it and it’s fine but you can also add chlorine to the water if your worried about bacteria.

What did that tank cost to construct?

Comment

The tank itself is about $10k. It comes with a 25 year warranty and has a food grade liner in it. The pump, filtration system, down spouts, underground piping, base material etc and installation is another $8k. If your the handy type and have time you could save a lot of money though. I however am neither of those things.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I'd imagine others will and do appreciate the info as well.

The opportunity to move is there and I'm weighing the options of a longer commute and living on some property, or living in the suburbs and having a shorter commute like I do now. I want out of the typical neighborhood setting if at all possible so we're exploring several options. If we live in the suburbs, we'd have access to the property on weekends, etc., but I'd rather drive a bit further and be able to enjoy it every day.

Being raised in the city, I never worried about water, electric, sanitary, etc. With the potential of building on property, I'm learning a lot and we have electric and septic figured out - we're working on water now.

We will be making the move to the Fort Worth area this summer, so it's approaching quick!

Comment

You might look into drilling a deep well. You should be able to hit the Trinity water table out there. I don't know how deep it is but I would look into it. I drilled a well over west of you in Jermyn and hit water at 80 ft. The driller asked if I wanted to stop at 90 and I told him to keep drilling to 150' since that's what I paid for. It was good, clean tasting and flowed like a river.

Comment

I'm about 10 mi east of there. We have great water from the Trinity water table as well. We are only 190'

Comment

use the well water to fill a 2500 gallon storage tank and then use a shallow well pump to feed the house off of that.

Comment

Do you have any information on who drilled the well, when, and how deep ? I had the same issue in NE Jack and the well just needed work and i also put a valve on it to reduce flow to above ground tank . No water issues since 2014 ....

Comment

There is a lot of information available online about rainwater harvesting. Do a search for ARCSA. It is common in the hill country as a source of both potable and non-potable water. I considered it for my house to avoid being tied to a water system that supplied very hard water. The primary factors to consider are collection surface area, average duration of droughts, monthly usage and storage tank capacity. You will need a metal roof for the collection surface. IIRC you get 0.62 gallons per sq ft per inch of rainfall. Talk to Pioneer tank about a storage tank. IIRC 20K gallons was around $10K. There is info online about the average length of droughts for various areas. In general you estimate 50-100 gallons per person per day for water consumption. You can separate the gray water discharge from the house and use it to water landscaping, etc. An aerobic septic system returns all of the water to the yard by sprinklers/drips.

Knew someone in Wimberley with a 20K tank. He had 2000 gallons delivered when he first moved in. Has never run short in 10 plus years.

Comment

Working...
                            X