No announcement yet.

7mm08 Managed Recoil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 7 year old shoots hornady 139 grain the recoil isn’t bad. He uses a lead sled on the bench then sand bags when hunting. He doesn’t even notice the recoil when hunting. But it puts deer and hogs in the dirt.

Comment

My 6 year old grand daughter shot her first deer this year with Hornady reduced 150 gr. 308. I strapped the rifle in a Caldwell field rest. I don’t think she noticed the recoil at all.

Comment

Get subsonic rounds to practice with that way you have less noise and recoil. Use real ammo for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntermac View Post
          The Hornady custom lite is what my son took his first deer with at 5 years old from a 7mm-08. Was followed up by a ram at 6 and 2 more deer at 7. Never once bothered by the recoil. He’s 12 now and shoots a lightweight 308 with Nosler Accubonds so was not a recoil shy fellow.
          Nice!

My youngest isn’t even the one I worry about.

Comment

My son killed a pile of deer and hogs out of his 7-08 using reduced handloads. Used 120 ballistic tips in front of H4895 pushing them about 2450 fps. That combination was wicked on game with most animals not taking a step and only 1 running out of sight. Felt recoil was less than full load 243. He’s now shooting full power loads.

Comment

My son is getting one this morning and I’m planning to just load it with real bullets after he practices with the reduced recoil.

Comment

Ready to try it out!

Comment

Thats awesome man!

Comment

Bphillips, Hunt with confidence with low recoil 7-08s. Plenty enough power to kill any whitetail on the planet.

Comment

Great smiles, awesome!

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                      Ready to try it out!

Comment

My son killed a bunch of deer and hogs with the Remington Managed Recoil loads in his 7mm-08. We never had an issue. It killed them well. Mostly bang flops but the ones that did run were dead quick. He got some pass thrus but quite a few didn't pass thru. Didn't matter they all died. The bullets mushroomed beautifully and we didn't have much bloodshot meat at all. I really liked how they performed on deer. Now, all his were shot from 30-100 yards and I always made him wait until he had a perfect broadside shot, except on hogs.

Comment

Someone at a range had an extra Hornady reduced recoil round and I shot it. I was about an inch lower than 139 grain Hornady at 200 yards. The published data has the 200 yard energy around 1,200. I wouldn’t hesitate shooting it to that point. Kids may not want to takes shot at that distance.

Comment

my wife and both sons used the 120 grain custom lite ammo in their 7mm-08's.

for deer, its fine for 100-150 yard shots. you have to read the ballistics for each caliber as some are watered WAY down but some aren't bad at all, the above load being one of them.

we didn't always get a pass thru but did recover all the deer shot with them, numbering around 6-8 deer and about as many pigs I am guessing.

Also makes a good trainer/practice round

Comment

Any feedback on the Remington Core Lok version? Also shows similar POI at 100 yards with the 140 gr managed recoil and full charge load

Comment

Well he smoke this old bruiser at 130 yards with the full power Core Lokt 140 gr. Never said a word about the recoil! He’s nine and this is his second deer.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X