Road Trip - Gatlinburg TN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking the fam to stay in Gatlinburg after Christmas. Nights stays are accounted in town just don't have a plan on commute stays to and fro. Does anyone have any good stopover suggestions; think country lake, river, or mountain? Again don't know which way to travel so my options are open as far as go through Arkansas way or cut over to Mississippi and head up that way. Any suggested routes and stops would be appreciated?

Things you need to know:
    We travel well 7hr - 8hrs no problem
    3 year old Boy
    6 year old Girl

Where are you leaving from? If your in the DFW area interstate through Arkansas is fastest. Bass Pro in Memphis or Nashville is a good half way layover
    Last edited by BrandonA; 12-03-2019, 05:21 PM.

Comment

From Ft. worth to pigeon forge, took us 17 hours in august.

Lunch, dinner, lots of potty breaks.

Comment

My wife's maiden name is Gatlin, and when we stayed there we were on a mission to learn about the Gatlin for whom the town was named to see if she might be related to him. After we learned that he was a scoundrel and was run out of town on a rail. She then decided that they were not related!

Comment

Definitely make sure y’all eat at the Peddler Steakhouse in Gatlinberg !
          It is really good !
          Everything you can imagine is in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinberg!
          Even stuff you can’t imagine!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd go through Memphis and Nashville. I'll second the Peddler Steakhouse. Pigeon Forge and Gatlinberg are lot of fun!

Comment

We did this trip during Christmas about 20years ago. We did the Elvis Presley home tour on our way and ate at a really good bbq joint there in Memphis but, can’t remember the name. Great trip! Have fun.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations ’m leaving from SE Houston And leaning towards Memphis stop.

Comment

Sky bridge is a must do!

Comment

OP, there is a local couple that has a YouTube channel, they go around the area and give reviews of all the hot spots.

Look up “ yankee in the south”

He is kinda goofy, but they have really good, honest reviews off all the places in Gatlinburg/ pigeon forge area.
                    Last edited by Buckshot-73; 12-04-2019, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Also, I highly recommend a visit to Reagans house of pancakes in pigeon forge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We made that trip a few years ago and pulled our toy hauler. We stopped outside Memphis the first night, and went to a state park outside Nashville the second night.
                        We stayed there 2 night and then went on to pigeon forge. I didn't realize what it was until we got there. Very crowded. It was in the summer, so maybe it wont be as crowded in december. Don't be in a rush to get anywhere. If you like pancakes, they have plenty of options. My daughter really liked the alpine coasters. Lots of stuff to see and do.

Comment

That's some pretty land out there. We went there for my wife's family reunion a couple years ago before the fires.
                          We played golf, fished, and hiked quite a bit. There's some waterfalls you can hike to.

Oh my wife and I spent a night in Nashville on the way up there. Only time we've ever been. I threw up in the Waffle House parking lot the next morning, and she swallowed a contact. Needless to say, we have been dying to go back to Nashville!

Comment

Made that trip a bunch during my college years. Don't stay in West Memphis, AR. It's a dump (unless it's improved a ton).

Comment

Working...
                            X