Smoked Venison Ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Venison Ham

I boned out the ham and removed the lymph node.
    Then in a large tub I brined the meat.
    Brine Recipe:
    1 gal water
    1 cup Kosher Salt
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 tbsp #1 cure
    Mix all ingredients together until dissolved. Place ham in brine and weight down with a Baggie filled with water so meat stay fully submerged.
    Place in refrigerator.

After two days I pulled it out of the brine. ( it can be left in the brine for as long as 14 days if you want a taste and consistency of pork ham or so I've been told. )

Patted meat dry and injected with Tony's Roasted Garlic & Herb marinade.

Dusted with Saltlick Dry Rub.

Put sliced onion and Adouille sausage on the inside.

Rolled the meat up and tied it to stay closed and covered in Saltlick Dry Rub and injected with more Tony's.

Latticed in bacon (of course) and pinned with toothpicks.

Smoked it using mesquite wood at 225 degrees until it reached 155 degrees internal temp. This took about 9 hours. It was a cold windy day so it might have gone quicker if it would have been a nicer day.

End result was some of the best deer I've eaten. Moist and tender.

This will now be a yearly tradition at my house.
    Mighty fine eats.

The next one I do I think I'll rub the inside with garlic paste and Italian herbs.

That looks awesome !!

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

Dang
        That does look awesome

Comment

That looks absolutely delicious. Did it dry out or was the meat juicy? Just wondering. Venison always seems to be dry since it has no fat.

I wonder if you could inject a deer ham with bacon grease? Hahahaha

Definitely saving this recipe.
          Last edited by txstringbender; 12-27-2015, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Looks great. Hint if you let it sit in brine longer it would. E pink through out. One day per pound is a good go by.

Comment

Looks delicious

Comment

Originally posted by txstringbender View Post
                That looks absolutely delicious. Did it dry out or was the meat juicy? Just wondering. Venison always seems to be dry since it has no fat.

I wonder if you could inject a deer ham with bacon grease? Hahahaha

Definitely saving this recipe.
                The end caps were not as moist as the inner portions but were not dryed out. With the brine, sausage, bacon and injection it didn't have much chance to dry out.

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                Looks great. Hint if you let it sit in brine longer it would. E pink through out. One day per pound is a good go by.
                This was my first time using a Cure and what I read up on about it stated just that. Said it would come out more like a ham than a roast.
                I will try that on one next whole hindquarter I keep.

Comment

Looks good . I'm gonna try it on the Big Joe

Comment

Saving me this one. Awesome. Do you think I could bake it or smoked is the only way to go...

Comment

Tag

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
                        Saving me this one. Awesome. Do you think I could bake it or smoked is the only way to go...
                        I'm sure it would work in the oven Angie but you might try to find a way to incorporate some liquid smoke some how, maybe a mist early on?

Also, with that much bacon I would put it in a pan with at least three inch walls. That's gonna be a lot of drippings.

Comment

I've gots deer I'll try! Thanks.

Comment

Giving this a shot with a yearling axis hind quarter!!! Looks awesome!!

Comment

Cooked it twice since - liked it both ways but the family prefers it without the brine

Comment

Working...
                              X