Do we ever stop learning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we ever stop learning?

For the past few years, we have been pretty quiet about some of the deer we kill. Mainly due to what we are now seeing on the hoof...a healthy buck doe ratio is an amazing thing in East Texas when the rut fires off.

With that said, I rushed on a deer this afternoon and cannot blame the kill on any skill I may possess...neither in hunting or tracking lol.

I slipped in the tree saddle about 1 pm...maybe 45 minutes after the wind got right for that spot. It is a 25 foot perch nestled right up to a bedding area that is perfect to get into when the wind is right.

An hour later, I hear chasing and see horns...keep in mind this place is THICK with an average shot of about 15 yards.

I see him hit the shooting lane and grab my bow off the hanger. He is slipping right to left and forcing me to lean back into the tree saddle, take the bow over my tether and draw in one motion...things are happening fast.

I swing out left of the tree at full draw and decide not to stop him as a deer that close will spook before stopping.

I let fly and see the arrow turn sideways as it enters the buck just in front of his let ham, angling up towards the backbone.

I see him disappear after the arrow fall out 10 yards away...another snort and bound and he is out of sight. I hit a dang twig about midways between me and the deer and I knew better than to try and force it.

After hour wait, I slipped down to the arrow and knew things was rough. I followed blood for an hour, circled back around twice and was following him by his tracks as the bloodtrail ran slim.

heartbroken and kicking myself for forcing a shot I decide to take a short cut back to my tree for my bag. That shortcut was a trail I had cleared out for another stand spot with a south wind. It was easy (and quiet) access to a hilltop. It was also a well used trail that wounded deer with a Nap thunderhead embedded in their spine like to lay down in...halfway up there he lay.

The arrow had turned up and broken off in his spine...he had not been dead long...

After a not so quick prayer of thanks, the truck ride home.

My lesson for the day, no matter how proficient you get at your activity of choice, there is a basic principle that when you rush can really you mess up.
    Stay calm and focused...but above all make sure that prayer life is on point because you never know when you may need some Supernatural trailing help
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Death from Above; 11-18-2022, 09:04 PM. Reason: picture issues

Great buck congrats!

Comment

That's a fine lookin' buck. Congratulations!!

Comment

Great buck. Great writeup. Super natural help always appreciated.

Comment

Very nice sir.

Comment

Sometimes things just work out. Congrats! Always keep learning

Comment

Very good buck and thanks for sharing your hunt. No we never quit learning imo. I love watching wild life.

Your comments on keeping things quiet about the deer on your place is very smart. No pics of them is even smarter, that bone on them deer drives us crazy sometimes.
              Last edited by tps7742; 11-19-2022, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Nice buck and good job on finding him.

Comment

Mighty fine buck right there! Glad you got it from a saddle!

Comment

Good buck!

Comment

Nice buck, good write up and reminder of how quickly things can go awry

Comment

Congrats on a great buck!!

Comment

Working...
                        X