Accuracy Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accuracy Issues

I bought a custom made (Northland shooters)280 AI on here a while back. Also bought a Leupold VX6HD 3-18x50 on here as well.

I had McQueeny Gun Club put the scope on and have had real issues with accuracy. Hill Country Rifles no longer offers their accuracy services, but I have a buddy who used to work there that is going to look at it, but cannot untill January.

Attached is a target I shot with a rock solid rest at 100 yards. 6 shots with no adjustments to the scope at all.

Shots 1 and 4 are almost touching (1 " high)
    Shots 2 and 5 are almost touching (2" high/ 1/2" right)
    Shots 3 and 6 are almost touching (1' high/ 2" right)

Any thoughts on the issue?
    Attached Files

Something is loose (scope mounts action bolts) or scope has internal issues

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
      Something is loose (scope mounts action bolts) or scope has internal issues
      Yep. You have something loose.

Comment

Fletching contact

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          Fletching contact
          There’s one in every crowd 😂

Comment

I can take a look at it if you need some help.

Comment

May not like the ammo you are feeding it. Or there could be something loose

Comment

Is that the only 6 rounds you shot.

Not convinced you aren’t dealing with a 2 moa rifle that just happened to stack rounds since they weren’t back to back.

I don’t see how a scope/ring/mount issue could alternate in three round strings.

Buy another box a bullets, shoot a group, and check results.

Comment

I had a rifle do that same thing, it was the screws in the scope base. Which I couldn’t believe as it had been mounted by a highly acclaimed custom rifle manufacturer.

Comment

Count me in the possible scope issue crowd. I recently had the same issue with a Zeiss Conquest, and they warrantied it out.

You may try another scope first if that's an option, or as buckhunter1999 said it may not like that ammo.

Comment

I would look for something in the scope mount loose first.

Comment

My nephew had a similar issue when he had a scope mounted in SA. Base screws were loose as in finger tight.
                        I’m at Canyon Lake and would be happy to check all your screw torque etc. Also have several proven scopes you could try if it doesn’t turn out to be a loose screw. Is it a rail mount? PM me if interested.

Comment

scope, scope mount or action screws.

Something is moving

Comment

How long between shots? Did you shoot 3 (1,2,3) and rest? I agree with others that something is likely loose but give 1 & 4 match up, 2 & 5 match up and 3 & 6 match up that makes me think it may be a heat/ammo/barrel issue or something similar due to time between shots (first shot different than last, etc.). I don't know much but it is weird you have them touching with it matching up every 3 shots. Something loose seems like it would be more random without "grouping" if you can call 2 shots a group.

Comment

I agree with the others. Start with scope mounts. I had an APR that was doing almost the same exact thing, coincidentally also with a VX6 3-18. Checked rings and they were all torqued to spec. Took scope off to try a different scope and found that the base mount was not tight. Tightened everything up properly and have not had a single problem since.

Verify all things are tightened properly before going down the rabbit hole of trying different bullets.

Comment

Working...
                              X