“2 Short” October 2022 bow buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“2 Short” October 2022 bow buck

This year was/is one of the worst droughts I’ve ever seen. Up until this past August we only had a couple rains since last November 2021.

The bodies were looking pretty rough going in to May with no rain still. Surprisingly as the summer progressed the body weights were starting to rebound. By September most of the deer had put some good weight back on and were looking healthy.

I didn’t have a lot of pictures of this buck that I call “2 Short” but from the recent pictures and me seeing a quick glimpse of him last Thursday, I was shocked how bad his body condition looked. He was extremely drawn in. His backbone was raised, along with showing his hips, ribs and shoulders. He didn’t look like he was doing very well. It’s crazy how much weight it looked like he was still losing. He was a big body healthy sucker last year.

On to the hunt…..

“2 Short” would pop shot the corn feeder but for the most part he was walking right by it to hit the protein feeder. I have my corn and protein separate from each other. My protein feeder is offset to the side about 50 yards or so from my elevated bow blind.

We played the ole game of cat and mouse. I hunted every day for close to a week. Last Friday evening on
    October 21, 2022 It all came together….Thank You, Lord.

It was getting late that evening when I seen him come out from the protein pen area. It looked like he was going do the same thing as the past and walk out right pass the corn back to where he goes. He was there more for the protein and didn’t really appear to have much interest in the corn. So, this hunt I dumped out a bag of protein off to the side of my shooting window. Where I was hoping he would at least stop and give me a shot. To my surprise it did stop him and he started coming back in. I quickly got the video camera on and had the VXR pointed his way. When I was aiming I was wanting to hit that “Deadly V” area but right before I shot he turned quartering to. I moved the pin over more forward and let the G5 MegaMeat loose. I’m not a fan of quartering to shots but this buck had me rattled and it got the best of me. The arrow hit him a little more forward than I meant to. I was mad at my self but after replaying the video it looked like I got in there better than I thought.

I seen where the arrow broke off later as he was running off. Thank God I could see him for a good ways and had a real good idea where he went before I lost visual. I gave him some time and slowly started tracking him. There was still that doubt…My mind was all over the place. I slowly followed the blood trail that had looped back towards the bow blind…..There he was!! Man, I was so happy to see that sight of him. I was an emotional wreck. “2 Short” made it 310 yards from the shot to where I found him. It was dark by now. I just set beside him for a solid 10 minutes….Thanking God non stop. I was not happy with my shot choice but I was extremely thankful it all worked out. I always pray before each hunt and it was an emotional thank you Lord afterwards.

The 498 grain FMJ arrow penetrated 11.5” and hit the off side. No exit but the entry hole on the on side shoulder was massive. After further inpection, It tore up one lung. I was very thankful for the good blood trail considering my poor shot decision.
    This hunt and buck is one of my most memorable…“2 Short” - 141 5/8” and
    33 4/8” mass.

Here’s the link to the video. I did insert the slow motion shot in the video but it’s towards the end after the LDP’s. I meant to put that after the original video but it is was it is. Long story. Lol

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2mmKGqtl0g"]October 2022 bow buck called 2 Short - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for watching and God bless. I wish the best for everyone this year.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bone Thug; 10-27-2022, 05:29 PM.

Very nice buck yet again. Congrats man

Comment

Another great deer and success story. Great video. Congrats Brandon.

Comment

Congrats! Awesome buck.

Comment

Great buck and story Brandon..

Comment

Awesome !

Comment

Congrats on a good one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great looking buck, congrats!

Comment

Thuggin it up again!
                  Very nice Brandon..Congrats

Comment

congrats sir and good recovery!!

Comment

Took you long enough! You’re normally done 15 minutes into opening morning Your text about this one caught me off guard. Love a surprise buck! Again, pumped for you and a big congrats. You’re a big buck killing machine!

Comment

You guys are doing it right. Congrats on a great looking deer.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on another WestTexas monster Brandon.

Comment

Congrats!!!!! Great buck especially for a drought season. How old do you think he is? The drought has messed the bodies up this season. If it were not for cameras it would be hard to tell how old some of these deer are where I hunt. I have seen some six year olds that look like they are four because of the drought. Crazy.

Comment

I can't believe it took you past 8 am opening morning.. Congrats Brandon on a great deer....especially in a drought! I enjoyed following along from the house.

You know doubt shanked him ....but the end result was money!

Comment

Working...
                              X