Fermenting hot sauce.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fermenting hot sauce.

Just going down the fermentation rabbit hole. Mostly interested in hot sauce. First batch was good but a little too salty. Cut down on the salt for the second batch and tried to sweeten it up with some apple. I’m just brining with the juice from the veggies right now but looking for some brine recipes for chunky stuff.

Second batch.

Comment

Long time lurker, new member though.

Just run the salt at 2-3 percent of total mix by volume. And make sure everything is covered with water. This is what we do for chunky stuff. I rarely ferment with a mash anymore. And you wont get much sweetness from throwing in apples or other fruit at the beginning of the ferment. The lacto will consume the majority of the sugars and youll be left with a more dilute flavor of the fruit. You can kill the fermentation when its finished, and then add fruits in before blending. Or you can not kill the ferment at the end, and have it randomly explode in your cabinet. But adding it in after the ferment is done, will add that sweetness back in that youre looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Werk View Post
        Long time lurker, new member though.

Just run the salt at 2-3 percent of total mix by volume. And make sure everything is covered with water. This is what we do for chunky stuff. I rarely ferment with a mash anymore. And you wont get much sweetness from throwing in apples or other fruit at the beginning of the ferment. The lacto will consume the majority of the sugars and youll be left with a more dilute flavor of the fruit. You can kill the fermentation when its finished, and then add fruits in before blending. Or you can not kill the ferment at the end, and have it randomly explode in your cabinet. But adding it in after the ferment is done, will add that sweetness back in that youre looking for.
        Welcome to the front of the fire! Good info!
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
          Second batch.
          Oh man, I'm jealous.

Comment

I do the same thing 2-3% but i make it out of red serranos, green serranos and add some red jalapenos, put some garlic in there with pepper oregano and cumin and let it sit for about 2 weeks. But i dont mash it up put them whole or in halves then strain out the brine and blend may add some brine after depending if it needs it.

I feel the red jalapenos give it a little sweetness

Comment

Working...
            X