Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended barrel contour for lightweight hunting rifle

Hey guys,
    Picking up a Curtis Axiom hybrid (going to chamber it in 6mm Creedmoor) and looking for a barrel manufacturer and barrel contour suggestion(s).

This rifle will be shot at the range and be used for walking around the plains chasing pronghorn, whitetail, and mule deer, so light weight is an objective.

What contour is the Tikka t3x lite?

Thanks in advance,
    Mitch

Sendero light proof @22”

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      Sendero light proof @22”
      Yup, look no further.

Comment

I can tell you what not to do lol… 26” bull with a 8”suppressor in an oryx chassis is not they way to go but makes shooting a 6mm even better.

Comment

Bartlein carbon Sendero

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
            Bartlein carbon Sendero
            Pass on bartlien carbon. They’ve got issues. Dealt with it first hand and they warrantied it and admitted other issues with the same barrels after some heated conversation. Stick with proof.

Comment

Any thoughts on Douglass barrels?

Comment

Originally posted by MitchParker View Post
                Any thoughts on Douglass barrels?
                Don’t go cheap

Krieger
                Lilja
                Bartlein(steel)
                Rock Creek
                Benchmark
                Proof (carbon or steel)

Douglas and Shilen build good barrels but lilja says it best about them. “Everyone one of our barrels is the same grade. Our best”. Or something like that lol. When you have different “quality levels” of barrel blanks, that says a lot. And it ain’t all good.

The price difference in top end barrel makers and the “budget” barrels is very negligible. Buy right the first time.

I prefer Kreiger, Lilja, Bartlein steel, and Rock Creek if you’re going stainless steel. Proof for carbon.

And choose the right smith. They are not all equal.

Comment

Hart barrels is what I use !!

Comment

if you're looking for something affordable, Wilson Arms sells a select match grade barrel (stainless steel) for $185. Same barrels used on Cooper rifles. At one time I owned 2 dozen Cooper rifles and they all shot tiny holes. Arguably the best bang for the buck. Personally, I'd do a #4 finished at 22". They can flute the barrel for $160.

PM me with any questions

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      Pass on bartlien carbon. They’ve got issues. Dealt with it first hand and they warrantied it and admitted other issues with the same barrels after some heated conversation. Stick with proof.
                      Didn’t know it so hopefully they cleared it up. I chambered 3 of them in the past couple months and they all shot very well.

Comment

Since you asked about Douglas, Yes, they are good. They offer an air gauged barrel that is as good as any. I have one, and it shoots every bit as good as my Lilja .280 AI. And i have two rifles with stainless Shilen barrels on them. Nothing wrong with those, either.

Comment

Recommended barrel contour for lightweight hunting rifle

I think Matt got a bad Bartlein. There’s too many people shooting them on LRH, LRO, Rokslide, etc for it to be a widespread issue.

There’s several people on LRO that won’t shoot a Proof barrel because of issues they’ve had.

FWIW the Bartlein carbon barrel will be heavier than say a Proof of equal contour.

Benchmark is doing a Carbon wrapped barrel now as well.

There’s also a couple of people that are wrapping their own barrels as well. Peterson Precision wraps Rock Creek and Muellerworks barrels. Mike at Hell’s Canyon Armory wraps Benchmark blanks. Both are highly regarded for independent shops.

The biggest advantage to a Proof is you are more likely to find one in stock unless you want some crazy length or twist rate. Most of not all of the others are going to have a 6-12 month wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Last edited by Mike D; 10-11-2022, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            I think Matt got a bad Bartlein. There’s too many people shooting them on LRH, LRO, Rokslide, etc for it to be a widespread issue.

There’s several people on LRO that won’t shoot a Proof barrel because of issues they’ve had.

FWIW the Bartlein carbon barrel will be heavier than say a Proof of equal contour.

Benchmark is doing a Carbon wrapped barrel now as well.

There’s also a couple of people that are wrapping their own barrels as well. Peterson Precision wraps Rock Creek and Muellerworks barrels. Mike at Hell’s Canyon Armory wraps Benchmark blanks. Both are highly regarded for independent shops.

The biggest advantage to a Proof is you are more likely to find one in stock unless you want some crazy length or twist rate. Most of not all of the others are going to have a 6-12 month wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            After what I was told I’d say there was a bunch. Might have been a bad batch. But it cost me a ton of time and money. I’ve owned more bartlein barrels than any other by a long shot. It broke my heart lol!

Comment

I am gonna try not offend anyone on here as this is my impression so far about carbon fiber wrapped barrels. I do not own one, but have shot two different rifles with CF barrels. Both were Proof brand Sendero contour barrels on custom builds. First thing I noticed right away was the weight of the rifle was not much less than a steel sporter contour, but the CF barrel is supposed to be more rigid than a sporter contour. After shooting a string of five shots the amount of mirage coming off the CF barrel was intense compared to the mirage coming off my 220 Swift with a steel Sendero contour. The man at Bartlein told me that CF barrels shed heat quicker, so that would explain the mirage. He also told me that a CF Sendero contour is not as rigid as a steel Sendero contour.

Now, I would entertain a 22lr build with a CF barrel but not a centerfire yet. I think what will persuade me is when CF wrapped barrels start winning matches and titles. I can also buy two Kreiger #3 sporter barrels for the price of one Proof barrel. I am also an old guy that does not like plastic pistols and am hard to persuade

Comment

Working...
                              X