X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget friendly warm camo and boots

What do y’all recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heater body suit is best investment I ever made $300 then you don’t need fancy boots

Comment

Cheapest and best is a Mr Buddy heater. Posted while sitting in my blind in t-shirt, blue jeans and sock feet while it's 31 degrees out.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
        Cheapest and best is a Mr Buddy heater. Posted while sitting in my blind in t-shirt, blue jeans and sock feet while it's 31 degrees out.

Don’t have a blind. Sitting in chairs tucked in some brush….but need need to build one

Comment

King's Camo

Comment

The basic of having warmth is good base layers. Merino wool is the way to go IMO, stay away from the Under Armour or Polyblends. They don’t breathe well and will hold sweat. Once they get sweaty its hard to stay warm.

Second is some form of mid layer. A cheap set can be something like the Magellan Mesa Softshell Pants, like $60 at Academy. The top can be some form of fleece/puffy layer

The second most important part to your base layers will be a wind proof outer layer. If you’re just sitting and watching and not having to stalk them something as simple as good camo rain gear can work.

Comment

for boots I like Wolverine - they have done well for me over the years and are reasonable - both insulated and non insulated

Comment

Huge sale on First Lite right now

Comment

Merino wool socks and Multiple thin layers of clothing.

Costco has Gerry brand fleece lined pants for $25 that are phenomenal at keeping me warm.

Avoid cotton and denim.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                    The basic of having warmth is good base layers. Merino wool is the way to go IMO, stay away from the Under Armour or Polyblends. They don’t breathe well and will hold sweat. Once they get sweaty its hard to stay warm.

Second is some form of mid layer. A cheap set can be something like the Magellan Mesa Softshell Pants, like $60 at Academy. The top can be some form of fleece/puffy layer

The second most important part to your base layers will be a wind proof outer layer. If you’re just sitting and watching and not having to stalk them something as simple as good camo rain gear can work.

This^

Since you are sitting in the open, just take some time to layer up. I use tripods all year and do the same.

Also be mindful how warm you get walking in to your stand. Regulate your heat walking in so you don’t sweat.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post

To add to this remember you want the layers to be loose fiting. If anything is tight, it constricts the blood flow.

Which is also something to consider with what ever boots you get. You need them to be a minum of a half size bigger, so you can wear scock liner and a thick wool blend sock.

Cotton has zero insulation value once its wet.

Comment

For boots, I've been wearing the same pair of insulated Sorels for 25 years. They were an investment but they have been great boots.

For layers, a very budget-friendly option is surplus military Polartec 200 fleece bib overalls. They were part of the Extreme Cold Weather System (ECWS). They're black but when I need camo I wear a leaf suit as an outer layer. You can find these for $10 or less online, they're very warm and you can don/doff without taking your boots off. If it's really cold out, I have a second pair that I layer over the first.

Comment

Sammy, what size boots? I may have some felt insulated ones that I will give you.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            Sammy, what size boots? I may have some felt insulated ones that I will give you.

I got baby feet….9 is what I wear

Comment

Put these in the bottom of your existing boots. I used them last week in VA in 20 degree weather. Same hiking boots I wear in the summer. My feet did not get cold.

Comment

Working...
                              X