Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time Duck hunting advice

Fellas,

The Mrs. surprised me with a duck/pig hunt she won at an auction. Of course I have to pay for it...I've dove hunted plenty of times. How should I approach this hunt differently? I have a few shot guns. 12 and 20 so I think that is covered. What do I need to do to keep from being "that guy"? The guide is aware of my lack of experience.

Y

Dont watch the birds circling they will see your movement. Watch with your eyes, not your head. Look through the bill of your hat.

Besides that with a guide shouldn't be much more to it, just be ready to start blasting when he says to shoot. Ducks are much easier to kill then dove in my opinion, perhaps why I am so much more successful at it LOL

Comment

Keep your head down, no movement and buy a head net and a good pair of waterproof gloves.

Comment

Not much to it. Dont be late, be still when birds are working, dont shoot until guide says so. Enjoy it. Duck hunting is way more of a social sport than deer hunting.

Oh ya, keep your duck call at home.

Comment

Make sure you have your license in order. Migratory game bird, federal duck stamp (and sign it) and hip certification. Steel or nontoxic shot for whatever gun you bring. Listen to the guide and keep your face down. You'll probably be in a blind so know your zone of fire and don't shoot over someone's head. Good luck

Comment

I'd say know the limits.

Regular Duck

6 - includes mergansers
            Includes no more than:
            5 mallards (only two of which may be hens)
            3 wood ducks
            2 redheads
            2 canvasback
            1 scaup
            1 pintail
            1 "dusky" duck (mottled duck, Mexican-like duck, black duck and their hybrids are closed the first five days of the season in each zone)

All other species not listed: 6

Where are you going on the hunt?

Comment

If it flies it dies

Comment

1. Call the guide
                2. Pack and BRING what he says you need
                3. Don't be late
                4. Listen and follow the guide's instructions - ask questions if you don't understand
                5. Hunt your zone
                6. Have fun

Comment

Be sure to click your shotgun safety off and on repeatedly when birds are circling. Guides love that! [emoji2]

Team Little Debbie Pro Staff

Comment

Also, don't over call and easy on the hail call when they're coming. Former World Champion Rick Dunn stayed here at the lodge years ago. He gave me a signed call and a quick lesson. I thought I was pretty good. I was wrong. lol

Comment

Pack some warm socks. If u shoot a canvasback have it mounted.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
                          Also, don't over call and easy on the hail call when they're coming. Former World Champion Rick Dunn stayed here at the lodge years ago. He gave me a signed call and a quick lesson. I thought I was pretty good. I was wrong. lol

Rick makes some sweet calls! Heck if your new to duck hunting the best advice I can give you is be still and leave the calls at home!

Comment

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
                            I hunt with a world-champion caller as well. I refuse to blow a call after hunting with him.

Comment

First time Duck hunting advice

Dont shoot over anyone’s head. Sounds sinple but it happens too often. Dont shoot until he calls the shot. Make sure your plug is in the gun. Maje sure you gave a federal waterfowl stamp. And dont habe any kead shot in your possession. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X