Old Fashion Spiced Lunch Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Fashion Spiced Lunch Meat

When I was just a youngster back in the 1960s I used to spend a couple of weeks each summer with my grandparents that lived in Jollyville, Texas. Jollyville was a hole in the wall between Leander and Austin, at that time it was the only thing between Leander and Austin. It has long since been swallowed up by Austin and few remember what it was like back then. It was a small community with only one store and gas pump called Hill’s Store. I can remember going to the little store which had a small meat case and getting lunch meat sliced. Sometimes my grandparents bought Olive loaf which I hated or bologna which was ok. Other times they would get Salami or Spiced Luncheon meat. They always had it sliced thin. I liked the Salami the best, the Spiced Luncheon meat had a good flavor but was greasy which I assume was because it was made from fatty meat trimmings. I came up with a recipe that reminds me of the old time lunch meats we had sliced at Hill’s Store but I know what goes in this one. I also can slice this as thick as I like for a sandwich. I think you would enjoy this version and it is not that hard to make.

Spiced Salami Style Lunchmeat
    10 pounds of ground meat about 20 to 30 percent fat
    2 level teaspoons pink cure salt
    4 tablespoons kosher salt
    2 tablespoons black pepper
    1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
    1 teaspoon mustard powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    ½ cup powdered milk
    1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
    2 cups cold water

Mix all dry ingredients together very well. Add the liquid smoke to the 2 cups of cold water and mix all of the dry ingredients into the water until dissolved and mixed well. Once well mixed pour water with spices over the meat and mix until the ingredients are equally distributed though the ground meat. Place meat mixture in the refrigerator, cover and let cool for 12 to 24 hours to let the cure work and the spices blend together. After at least of 12 hours in refrigerator stuff into casings. (I used the jumbo red casings for bologna and lunch meat available online and some sausage supply companies. I bought mine from Lem Supply Co. online. These casings are about 4.5 inches in diameter and perfect for sandwiches.) Soak the casing in warm water for about 30 minutes before stuffing. Add more cold water if needed to the meat blend to help with stuffing the casings. If you use the large fibrous casings you do not even need a sausage stuffer. Just spoon in the meat and squeeze down the casing until tight and plump then ring or tie off the end. Once the casings are stuffed you can cook them in a smoker or oven, I like somewhere between 225 to 275 degrees. Slowly cook to 155 degrees internal temperature. When internal temperature is up to 155 degrees place in ice water bath for about 15 minutes to prevent shrinkage. Slice and enjoy.

Looks good!

Comment

How do you think it'll taste with venison?

Comment

Half pork shoulder and half venison was great. I guess you could just add beef or pork fat also.

Comment

Working...
        X