No announcement yet.

East Tx vs Hill Country Deer Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Human population and predation. The overwhelming majority of Texans live east of I 35.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
      East Texas quality can rival anyplace out there if they get some age on the herd.

As to the numbers…it is because more spotlights are sold in East Texas.
      I was gonna say....rednecks. not meaning no disrespect, but it seems the season is open year round 24/7.

Comment

My opinion?

Incest and other un-Godly activities. Probably due to the proximity of East Texas to the Deep South states

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
          My opinion?

Incest and other un-Godly activities. Probably due to the proximity of East Texas to the Deep South states

But no goat ****ing like they do out where the hills get rocky [emoji23]

Comment

Look down at your index finger. Then realize how many of them are in East Texas that are quick to pull a trigger with one.

The hill country can produce some giant deer when managed right. As can East Texas. Hill country seems to be more deer friendly forage. Look at the amount of goats and sheep. There’s a reason.

Keep the deer density within reason and you can produce some amazing deer. Genetics are there.

I know East Texas can and does as well. Hunters are the problem there.

Comment

We hunted two properties in East Texas. One was a very nice place that had a great mix of hardwood to pine. Lots of water; Ponds, creeks, etc. That place had quite a few deer and did produce some decent bucks.

The other place was a full of 20 year old planted pine, dark timber type stuff and very little to no hardwood. Not many deer there and what was shot was pretty spindly.

Habitat plays a big part in both density and quality. There are places in the Hill Country that is low on density and quality as well, the areas around Leakey, Concan, and Utopia can be pretty sparse on the deer numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                But no goat ****ing like they do out where the hills get rocky [emoji23]

Hah, hah…funny man.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                  Good info here. That’s what I was curious about from others with more experience hunting those areas what you see deer eating & their changing habitats throughout the season. I guess I’m just jealous seeing all those bigger racks you guys keep flaunting from hunting those areas.
                  Ain’t nuthin’ but cedar bushes ,caliche and rocks where I hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                    This goes back to 1970 when hill country deer weighed 50 pounds on the hoof - there were zero deer in east Texas - and south Texas had a few large survivors. Since then there have been a lot of additions and subtractions in all the regions mentioned.
                    The biggest doe I have ever seen killed was 5 minutes from Carters Country off Telge, blocks from Intercontinental Airport N. Houston. So is it a E Texas deer or a S Texas deer? Maybe a bit of both...
                    That would be a SE Texas doe sir lol. Idk but I’d consider Houston area coastal Texas

Comment

This goes back to 1970 when hill country deer weighed 50 pounds on the hoof - there were zero deer in east Texas - and south Texas had a few large survivors. Since then there have been a lot of additions and subtractions in all the regions mentioned.
                      The biggest doe I have ever seen killed was 5 minutes from Carters Country off Telge, blocks from Intercontinental Airport N. Houston. So is it a E Texas deer or a S Texas deer? Maybe a bit of both...
                      Considering Houston is a real long way from south Texas. Imma say it ain’t a south Texas deer. Lol

Comment

Percent of protein in forage gots along way…that south Texas brush browse is the best

Comment

Funny… every time I go see family in San Marcos I see more deer than an entire season on my place in East Tx. However, I will take Polk County over Hayes any day regarding body and anthers. East Tx was abused hard for a long time … year round hunting and reliance on deer for food. Although it seems a lot of this is past us, it’s my opinion the herd is hit pretty hard in hunting season. Long season and way to many does shot. But that can’t be the only reason… for whatever reason the hill country just supports a big deer herd.

Comment

I’ve seen a 200# buck an hour from Austin.

I think it is more about age and letting deer get older and fully mature to potential.

Any area in Texas can produce an above average buck…just need age/time.

Comment

When I first moved to Houston(1978) the Houston Post had a picture where some apartments were being built in the background. There was a tree line in front of the apartments and there were 3 monster bucks walking the treeline.
                              We did some pipeline work over in Atascocita and there were deer tracks all up and down the right of way, some were huge.

Comment

Some parts of the hill country and especially South Texas actually have more food and higher quality food than east Texas. Timber is a food desert. Brush country is a buffet.

Comment

Working...
                                X