Cooktop venting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooktop venting question

We are installing a new cooktop and vent hood. Believe it or not, the old vent hood vented only into the cabinet above the cooktop. HOA will not allow it to go through the sidewall of the house. We just got an entire new concrete tile roof put on the house due to a hailstorm and really don’t want to mess with going through the roof if I don’t have to. I know it is not the most desirable way to do it, but is it okay to vent it into the attic? Anyone have their’s vented into attic? Please advise!

Thanks

Mine doesn't have a vent. Just a filter

Comment

I installed a new vent hood after Harvey, replacing a microwave vent a hood set up that was in place. I could not vent to the attic or outside. I found a model that allows you to put in 2 charcoal circular filters that were about $16 each and not vent the unit. I think it was from Home Depot and had to be ordered but it was not expensive.

I cook a lot, we have a commercial gas range and this vent hood unit works great. It clears the smoke and smell out quick. It is louder than what we had, but it is a much larger unit as well.

Comment

Go through a filter and into the attic. Filter should catch most of the grease.

Screw HOA's

Comment

Is it in their restrictions and are they filed? If not they can pound sand.

Comment

I wouldn’t want to put the additional moisture in the attic. Like others said, maybe look at vent hood that filters and just puts the “filtered air” back into kitchen. Or, is Jenn Air style venting possible? It drafts down, through subfloor and out at a ground level vent (might sneak it by HOA?).

Comment

Can't help, but need post

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Roads View Post
                Can't help, but need post

This guy?

I’ll take the post too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't vent directly into the attic.
                  If you have soffits, vent through the attic to exit through a soffit vent.
                  If you have a gable roof vent out through the gable vent.
                  If a gable with no gable vent, one can be added.

Otherwise find some way to disguise it to go where you need to go.
                  Put a dummy birdhouse next to your house and vent through the birdhouse.
                  Put in a couple of dummy downspouts to match your existing downspouts and vent behind or through them.
                  If you have a rock exterior get an artist to paint the vent cover to look exactly like the rocks on your exterior
                  Perhaps a little new landscaping with an extra tall shrub to hide the exit point
                  Think outside the box to work your way around the HOA.

Comment

It's not a code requirement to vent to the exterior, but a very good idea. A lot of microwaves and range vents just filter and re-circulate, but it will cover the cabinet above with grease if you cook much with oil and add more humidity to the living space or attic if you vent it there. I've never heard of an HOA restricting exterior wall vents, that's odd.

Comment

HOA wishes and desires do not override building guidelines and local building codes.

Period

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
                        It's not a code requirement to vent to the exterior, but a very good idea. A lot of microwaves and range vents just filter and re-circulate, but it will cover the cabinet above with grease if you cook much with oil and add more humidity to the living space or attic if you vent it there. I've never heard of an HOA restricting exterior wall vents, that's odd.
                        If there is no natural ventilation in the kitchen there is a code requirement.

Why does the hoa not allow you to vent out the side? Do you live in a patio home?

Comment

Might look at a down draft / “Jenaire”

Comment

Do it the way u want and don't tell the how. Aint none of their business anyway

Comment

Do you have an attic vent installed already? There’s got to be a vent already in place that you can run the pipe over to. A ridge vent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X