Anchoring box blind in the Hill Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anchoring box blind in the Hill Country

We need to setup several new box blinds on my new lease north of Junction. A couple will be 4'x8' and a couple will be 4'x4' all on 8ft Towers. What is the best way to anchor them? Here are the options I have read.

Rock Drill and anchor into ground
    Anchor in stump (might be hard to find to make the right stump in right spot)
    55 gallon barrel filled with rocks or quickcrete (is one better than the other)

I am leaning towards the 55 gallon barrel method. Any suggestions or thoughts?

That drum and concrete idea sounds solid.
    I drove t post for my buddies tower and tied cables to them. Still fell over in a good storm

Comment

We put them over cedar trees, and a cable with a hand Come along down loop around the cedar tree to the bottom of the blinds.

Comment

def do drum and concrete if you can

Comment

T post and cable - one underneath and four on each corner - will not move if you do it right

Comment

We use a Purina feeder bucket filled with concrete and no issues

Comment

Someone on TBH mentioned using lag bolts driven in by impact driver for quickly anchored tents... wonder if that would work with some large lag bolts if you aren’t in areas with too much slick rock

Comment

Originally posted by Hoytbowhunter View Post
                We put them over cedar trees, and a cable with a hand Come along down loop around the cedar tree to the bottom of the blinds.
                This. Can't beat it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoytbowhunter View Post
                  x2

Comment

If you have a tractor just put some big rocks under them and use 3/16 cable to tie them down

Comment

I find a mesquite tree closest to where I want my blind, cut it down with plenty of trunk still left. After that I choke a piece of chain around the base of it then run two cables from corner to corner of the blind through the chain with turnbuckles on one end of each. Had a tripod with t-post at each leg blow over right behind the blind but it’s still standing

Comment

Stump trick always worked for me.

Comment

We used T-posts 9-wired to each leg. Also used half filled a 55 gal barrels with rocks and sand so we could move it later instead of concrete...rocks are free. Sometimes cut the barrels in half.

Comment

The barrels work really well

Comment

Some guys I used to hunt with would take some 1” square tubing and cut 2 pieces about 6” long. Lay one on top of the other in a plus (+) or cross shape and weld them up. Then take 2 -4’ long pieces of like 1/2” rebar and weld end caps onto one side of them. Then drive each one in at a 45deg angle. Worked pretty well. Lots of work to drive them in though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X