Society today - why the panic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have had plenty of things go around why let this stop things?
    Polio- measels- etc over the years. Life went on- everyone went to work, school, etc. Why now is everyone so scared to have a finger pointed at them in case someone gets sick at their event? I am trying my hardest to go on like every other day but all the chicken little stuff gets in the way. We had a HS baseball tournament in Dallas cancel after day 1. Boys are headed home and found a team to play tonight. Boys had a meeting and I will say Im proud of them. Said if district cancels they are going to network and play “sandlot”. I’m sure we will rent a facility and umpires if it comes to that. Why in the world have we changed to allow this is my question? I know our grandparents didn’t

Everyone gets a trophy, goes a long way in all areas. Last 30 years has been a dumbing down, de-strengthing of everything that made it a great country, last 2 weeks just put it out there for everyone to see. What a s#*t show.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

social media ......and too many folks who depend on clicks for their income or self worth..

Last edited by Smart; 03-13-2020, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Main street media propaganda

Comment

People have gotten softer but we also look at history with rose colored glasses.

Comment

I understand what you're saying and I can sympathize. It seems overwhelming and ridiculous, but look at worse case scenario and tell me that HS baseball is that important.
            You're right, our forefathers went on with business as usual many, many times....and 245,000 Americans were crippled with Polio, 110,000 kids died around the world from measles just in 2017, the Spanish Flu killed between 50-100 million people in the early part of the last century including 500,000 in the US. Epidemics are real. Maybe this turns into one and maybe it gets stopped because of precautions. I'd feel pretty stupid if my kid caught it from a high school baseball game. We won't stay in a bubble, but I don't plan to get that **** either.

Comment

Closing schools on covid19 is a bad idea , very different then the flu where young people are helping spread the disease
              We will probably need every nurse and health care provider on duty and not at home babysitting before this is over

Comment

Lack of common sense in our current society

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                  People have gotten softer but we also look at history with rose colored glasses.
                  I bet you if the people that lived, or died, in the world's previous pandemics could give advice it wouldn't be "awww, don't worry about it, it'll probably be fine".

I'm a little jaded because I discounted and made fun of the people predicting hurricane Harvey's potential. Then I got to watch my community get devastated. I realized I get paid to build stuff and some people get paid to prevent disaster. I try not to second guess as much now.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    I understand what you're saying and I can sympathize. It seems overwhelming and ridiculous, but look at worse case scenario and tell me that HS baseball is that important.
                    You're right, our forefathers went on with business as usual many, many times....and 245,000 Americans were crippled with Polio, 110,000 kids died around the world from measles just in 2017, the Spanish Flu killed between 50-100 million people in the early part of the last century including 500,000 in the US. Epidemics are real. Maybe this turns into one and maybe it gets stopped because of precautions. I'd feel pretty stupid if my kid caught it from a high school baseball game. We won't stay in a bubble, but I don't plan to get that **** either.
                    And any of those folks back in the day would kill to live with the benefits we have in our society today.

I think a lot of what we are seeing is a childish part of the American cultural mentality that makes us think that we never have to change anything we do for any reason whatsoever, but that just ain't how the real world works.

Comment

Lots of truth to that
                      I feel this is heading somewhere the human race isn’t physically or mentally or emotionally prepared for
                      I hope I am wrong

Comment

Nailed it. This was going to be my response. This bug moves fast and without symptoms is contagious. Yes more people are recovering than dying. However this virus just recently changed to the 2019 version, who is not to say it does not change more and get better at killing as it spreads.

Italy is crippled. They did not act fast enough. Their hospitals are over whelmed.

I dont think this is the end of the world, but not something to ignore if look at what it is doing in Italy. Or what the Spanish flu did in 1918

Comment

If I get it I get it. I’ll beat it and go back to work. Kid will do the same.

Comment

Take your pick:

24/7/365 news on dozens of channels all competing for eyeballs and clicks.

An absurd legal system that rewards ambulance chasers.

Generation Snowflake.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                              If I get it I get it. I’ll beat it and go back to work. Kid will do the same.
                              Just out of curiosity. How would you feel if tour kid got it while playing baseball and didn't beat it?

Comment

Working...
                              X