Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think people in general have gotten soft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes! Maybe? Not necessarily. Depends on the job. Depends on the person. Not all.
    That discussion could start with coffee in the morning and end with a beer before bed!

Comment

My granddad said that about my dad's generation. My dad said it about mine. I say it about my kid's generation. Meanwhile, I employ a lot of great people that do the tough *** work that I was doing in my twenties....so somebody is still tough enough to do it. Meanwhile....I'm 46 and pay someone to cut my grass. Maybe I got soft too.

Comment

This is why folks with skilled labor skills will be rich.....to lazy to go into plumbing, hvac, electrical, mechanics, etc.......

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
          [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Lol, thought you would find that funny

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
            I came home one day and told my step boy I got him a job at the feed store and he said he would work at McDonald's before he would do that.......
            Dang, that is my most favorite job to date was working the feedstore in highschool

Comment

Originally posted by bow4my2 View Post
              Lol, thought you would find that funny

Actually busted out laughing.

Comment

Or maybe a cream mocha latte in the morning and peach wine fizz before bed, ya know, just depends on where you are or who your talkin' to.

Comment

Yes people are softer these days.

The option to “not” physically work hard is more achievable now than what it was back in the 50’s. Between technology and the availability of higher education plays a major roll.

I believe some of, if not most ranchers have utilized technology to make their work easier as well. Not saying ranching is easy.....but it doesn’t have to be all horse and wrangling.

Comment

Crap yes. It's too easy to get on welfare/disability. Plus we can't push our kids, students, teams, employees etc like we used to.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                      Yes, but it’s a sign of how amazing the society we have created is. You don’t have to be hard to live and live well right now. A major problem with our poor is obesity, that says a lot about how incredible this country is.

That being said, anyone who thinks it will always be this way is ignorant of history. Everything is cyclical.

Hard times make hard men

Hard men make good times

Good times make soft men

Soft men make hard times.

Nail on the head. It’s much easier to make good money not breaking your back nowadays.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                          My granddad said that about my dad's generation. My dad said it about mine. I say it about my kid's generation. Meanwhile, I employ a lot of great people that do the tough *** work that I was doing in my twenties....so somebody is still tough enough to do it. Meanwhile....I'm 46 and pay someone to cut my grass. Maybe I got soft too.
                          I'm just tough enough to write that check.

Comment

My job now isn't physically demanding. At times it can be but not like all of my previous jobs. I've put miles and miles of fence post in the ground,worked cattle,etc. Carrying bundles of shingles up a ladder and being on a hot roof all day tearing shingles off and putting new ones on wasn't easy. But I could do it again tomorrow if I had to. But I don't so I ain't. You do what you have to do to make money,or at least I do. If you have a choice between doing something easy to make money and doing hard work to make money and you choose to do hard work, that's on you.

Nobody has to work period if they don't want to. So the answer is yes I do think people have gotten soft,more like lazy. They could do it if they wanted to. They'd just rather not.

Comment

One of the guys on the lease and I were talking the other night about this. He said when China comes over here and tries to kick or arses. We are going to have to call a time out to call our therapist!

Comment

From about the age of 16 until I was well into my 50's I was tough as nails. I turned 60 in 2014 and said time to let the younger ones handle this. Just turned 65 so you young ones work hard, take on two jobs, to help us on Medicare pay our hospital and surgery bills.

Comment

Working...
                                X