No announcement yet.

Aborted road rage incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I carry a loaded gun every day of the week and have only felt the need to pull it out once ever when some jack wagon who was road raging me followed me into a home depot parking lot and almost hit the front end of my truck after I had parked, he got out and started yelling at me...in that moment I remembered the de-escalation training I have had and just sat there waiting to see what happened next. He said his peace and when he saw I wasn’t going to engage him, he got in his truck and sped off, I reinserted my pistol into its holster and got out and went into the store.

More often than not, in my opinion and experience, people that let people know they have a firearm at the ready are typically not the folks that are trying to de-escalate any situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This Jack Wagon fellow everyone talks about seems to cause a lot of ****. I'd steer clear of that guy.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Twipper333 View Post
        I carry a loaded gun every day of the week and have only felt the need to pull it out once ever when some jack wagon who was road raging me followed me into a home depot parking lot and almost hit the front end of my truck after I had parked, he got out and started yelling at me...in that moment I remembered the de-escalation training I have had and just sat there waiting to see what happened next. He said his peace and when he saw I wasn’t going to engage him, he got in his truck and sped off, I reinserted my pistol into its holster and got out and went into the store.

More often than not, in my opinion and experience, people that let people know they have a firearm at the ready are typically not the folks that are trying to de-escalate any situation.

Very Well Said. Best Advice Posted

Comment

If he had walked up to your window, would you have tried to conceal your handgun to help de-escalate the situation?
          Last edited by Traildust; 10-16-2019, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
            If he had walked up to your window, would you have tried to conceal your handgun to help de-escalate the situation?

I can’t say because thankfully he said his peace and walked away...thinking back there were a bunch of ways that could have played out, most of them would have ended badly for him, me or both of us. I could have just put my truck in drive once he was out of his and drove away, but in that moment I kind of froze and just had my hand on my gun waiting for whatever may happen next.

Too many times recently I see more and more people rationalizing the use of lethal force in instances where had they just made the choice to de-escalate, everything would have worked out. Too often people think that once they have been provoked or antagonized by another, they feel empowered and justified in their use or display of force claiming self-defense. You’re not defending yourself by showing your gun in a situation where someone else is just running their mouth.

I always like the feeling of having my gun but not needing it and also not showing all of my cards until absolutely necessary. If you come at me with words, even if you’re threatening me verbally, my first reaction isn’t to go pull my gun out or show you I have it, I am going to try to talk my way out of it or walk away before I try to prove that I’m bigger or badder because I’m carrying.

Comment

I can’t say because thankfully he said his peace and walked away...thinking back there were a bunch of ways that could have played out, most of them would have ended badly for him, me or both of us. I could have just put my truck in drive once he was out of his and drove away, but in that moment I kind of froze and just had my hand on my gun waiting for whatever may happen next.

Too many times recently I see more and more people rationalizing the use of lethal force in instances where had they just made the choice to de-escalate, everything would have worked out. Too often people think that once they have been provoked or antagonized by another, they feel empowered and justified in their use or display of force claiming self-defense. You’re not defending yourself by showing your gun in a situation where someone else is just running their mouth.

I always like the feeling of having my gun but not needing it and also not showing all of my cards until absolutely necessary. If you come at me with words, even if you’re threatening me verbally, my first reaction isn’t to go pull my gun out or show you I have it, I am going to try to talk my way out of it or walk away before I try to prove that I’m bigger or badder because I’m carrying.

Well said. There are some that will argue that the OP did nothing wrong until the cows come home. I'm a firm believer that although everyone should have the right to bear arms not everyone has the ability.

Comment

The OP stated he was in pretty bad health and probably couldn't defend himself against an 8th grader. The last thing he wanted was a one sided physical altercation. Now you can call it whatever you want.....but letting the db know he wasn't gonna be a victim.....is exactly what ltc was made for.

We don't know if the db saw the open carry......but regardless, it worked out for the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                  Well said. There are some that will argue that the OP did nothing wrong until the cows come home. I'm a firm believer that although everyone should have the right to bear arms not everyone has the ability.

What exactly did he do wrong again? Are you intimidated when you see someone open carrying?

Comment

What exactly did he do wrong again? Are you intimidated when you see someone open carrying?
                    No I'm not intimidated by open carry.
                    I don't understand the need to but that's your own personal choice.
                    What he did wrong :
                    1)Expose his weapon to intimidate.

2) Come on a public forum and post about #1.

If it happen again tomorrow and he shoots someone he's going to have a hard time trying to prove selfdefence because the things he did wrong today that are now public knowledge.

Comment

Yes, what did i do wrong? What would the difference have been if i open carried all the time?
                      I must say, if it happens tomorrow, i would most likely do the same thing. But you cannot really say what you may do. Any one encounter will most likely be different from another.
                      i am going to the rifle range tomorrow, so i wont be carrying, but will have one in the console.

I probably would have done something different if any of the gandkids would have been in the car. My wife wanted to call the police, but i said not to, as i didn't think it would escalate, as i felt he would get the message, and they wouldn't get there in time to do anything. If it escalated they would come anyway, but there is something to be said about being the one to call.

I appreciate all of the replies, that was what i was hoping for, lots of discussion on this subject. That is what is so great about this forum.

Comment

No I'm not intimidated by open carry.
                        I don't understand the need to but that's your own personal choice.
                        What he did wrong :
                        1)Expose his weapon to intimidate.

2) Come on a public forum and post about #1.

If it happen again tomorrow and he shoots someone he's going to have a hard time trying to prove selfdefence because the things he did wrong today that are now public knowledge.

I think you have the OP confused for the road rage guy???? The OP was the non-aggressor. He wasn't yelling and screaming, flipping people off, brake checking and driving recklessly. OP pulled his shirt up to have quick access to it if needed......because some assclown was about to attack him and his wife.

He never made eye contact with the guy once he parked and went to eat with his friends. How the hail is the non-aggressor being intimidating?

Sorry you can't understand that.
                        Last edited by Traildust; 10-16-2019, 11:01 PM.

Comment

I think you have the OP confused for the road rage guy???? The OP was the non-aggressor. He wasn't yelling and screaming, flipping people off, brake checking and driving recklessly. OP pulled his shirt up to have quick access to it if needed......because some assclown was about to attack him and his wife.

He never made eye contact with the guy once he parked and went to eat with his friends. How the hail is the non-aggressor being intimidating?

Sorry you can't understand that.
                          Since You feel the Need to Defend His Action On every Post Please Enlighten us The Difference Between The Dumb***** That Started The Road Rage and The Defendant Walking Amongst innocent Bystanders Displaying a Weapon of Force to a Person That is Being irresponsible up until that Point. Every Action Has a Reaction. If the Bad Guy Decided To 1 up him again and Pulled his weapon Then What? Someone Out Buying A sandwich is Shot in a Cross Fire for What Reason? O Because The OP didn't Back Down Due to His Choice to Be able to Carry A Weapon. At what Point Does The Road rage Not Become Road Rage anymore? Once you Introduce others Into a Situation they had no involvement in it is Now Your responsibility To Have made the right Decision. Now Put your wife and Kids Sitting Behind Him eating Their Favorite Sub With No Clue What They could have been Involved In.

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
                            Since You feel the Need to Defend His Action On every Post Please Enlighten us The Difference Between The Dumb***** That Started The Road Rage and The Defendant Walking Amongst innocent Bystanders Displaying a Weapon of Force to a Person That is Being irresponsible up until that Point. Every Action Has a Reaction. If the Bad Guy Decided To 1 up him again and Pulled his weapon Then What? Someone Out Buying A sandwich is Shot in a Cross Fire for What Reason? O Because The OP didn't Back Down Due to His Choice to Be able to Carry A Weapon. At what Point Does The Road rage Not Become Road Rage anymore? Once you Introduce others Into a Situation they had no involvement in it is Now Your responsibility To Have made the right Decision. Now Put your wife and Kids Sitting Behind Him eating Their Favorite Sub With No Clue What They could have been Involved In.
                            LOL!
                            You my friend are absolutely right. The OP is the bad guy and the road rage guy deserves an apology.

OP, just leave that weapon at home and take that arsewhoopin or death. You selfish bastage!

None of your make believe scenario happened.

Comment

According to that one should never stand up for oneself or defend ones self due to what if. No thank you, i will live my life as a free man. When you make the decision to carry a firearm, you make the decision to protect your self and your family. If you are going to run away from every body that honks at you, then you shouldn't be carrying anyway. No need to carry if you are always going to run away. go out and buy yourself some running shoes.

Since we are talking about what ifs, what if he never honked at me?

Comment

.......I'm a firm believer that although everyone should have the right to bear arms not everyone has the ability.

After reading all the posts on this thread, this comment seems the most appropriate.

Comment

Working...
                                X