Adding pond structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    If anyone needs assorted stone (like the kind you put on the front of your house) for tank structure or erosion control, I have all you can stand...but you have to haul it. I’ll load it in a dump truck/trailer. Or you can load all you can carry in your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How much does each said stone weigh approximately?

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
      I have no clue, but I will throw this out there. I went by a big tank a few days ago and they had put about ten round bales of hay in it. Left the wrap on. What does this help? Just curious. I'm guessing about 10 acres surface area.
      I have heard of doing this to seal a leaking pond, it would have to be empty or very close to it, turn the cattle loose and they will tromp it down from eating the hay, the loose hay will get worked into the soil and help seal, I do not know if this works, was just told this before.

Comment

I have no clue, but I will throw this out there. I went by a big tank a few days ago and they had put about ten round bales of hay in it. Left the wrap on. What does this help? Just curious. I'm guessing about 10 acres surface area.
        I will help clear muddy water.

As far a natural or pvc. Go natural. I catch 10x more fish of the natural stuff vs pvc. I am will to sacrifice a few hooks for that type of difference

Comment

5-7 wooden pallets stacked up, drilled together. Put about 200# of rocks on top. Creates a ton of nooks and crannies for baitfish to hide out in. Ive got close to half a mile of busted up old PVC. I'm about to make a bunch of PVC trees now that the weather has cooled off.

Comment

Another vote for Christmas trees. We add some out in front of our dock on the lake every 3-4 years. The perch and bass seem to love the shade they provide.

Comment

Made these for my buddies pond. Just PVC, black corrugated pipe, and Pex. I say the more structure, the better. We also threw cedar branches in there as well.
              Attached Files

Comment

I have about 30-40 riding lawn mower tires you can have free.

Comment

Pallets work pretty good as well.

As mentioned above it's all about shade

Comment

I've got plenty of PVC structure out in places but it won't produce like regular brush 90pxt of them time. Only place PVC has been better IMO is small ponds where beavers or nutria eat your stuff up as soon as you sink it! Put 6 piles in a buddies 7 acre lake and a week later we were fishing cinder blocks!! There was nothing left of the willows

Comment

Pallets are also good because flat head minnows lay eggs on the underside. I make a triangle with three pallets and then put some cedar branches in the middle. I'm leaning toward PVC in the future though for a more long lasting solution.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                        How much does each said stone weigh approximately?

Anywhere from five up to 85 or 90 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
                          Barley hay is what is really needed to benefit the water. Hay can help clear up stained water and control filamentous green algae. Its also benefits the production of plankton for fish fry.
                          Barley straw is also recommended in Koi ponds to clear up water stain and provide a substrate for beneficial bacteria to colonize.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
                            Things I have done in my lake and tanks that hold fish.
                            1. Rocks, placed in shallow water near the bank.
                            2. Big oak logs rolled into 3 to 5 foot depth, oak logs sink.
                            3. Cedar logs, drill holes in center and cable about 10 tightly together. Attach cable from middle log to bucket filled with concrete. Cable length should be the depth of water the structure will be positioned at. Cedar logs float, fish love to sit in the shade under the logs.
                            4. Cedar logs again, take a chainsaw and cut a sharp point on the bottom and drive them into the bottom of the lake. The more the better. Looking for the shade effect.
                            5. Cedar fence stays, use a bunch and drive them in the bottom with enough space between stays to run a spinnerbait through.

About to give up on the pvc structures I have built and bought. The porcupines never hold any fish and the 1/2 inch pvc shoved in buckets never hold fish either. Natural wood has proved to be the most consistent fish holding structure for me. Shade is a very important to have for fish to key on. My bigger bass tend to suspend in the deeper water, void of any structure.

Same here. I built and bought Mossback none hold fish as good as cedar trees and logs...

Comment

I'm guessing these were from Coastal are something similar. Who knows.
                              Alfalfa or barley straw may clear water some and help with algae. Coastal will create a lot of algae, but might help filter some and create some food source, but likely cause way more problems than it will help.

Comment

Seems like you could clear a little bit of old fence row and sink some old bois d’arc. Stuff won’t hardly burn, I bet it would last a while underwater.

Comment

Working...
                                X