Truck Tent Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck Tent Recommendations

I have a 2019 Ram 2500. My wife has never been camping and is willing to give it a try. She is not a fan of the idea of sleeping on the ground so close to the bugs and critters. I figure a truck tent is the best way to go.

Do any of you have one or recommendations?

Do any of you have one or recommendations?[/QUOTE]

A tougher wife maybe

I used one a few times and they felt very cramped IMO. A cheap tent over a large tarp maybe?

Comment

FYI. if you were planing on going to a state park.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
        FYI. if you were planing on going to a state park.
        https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=763975
        saw that. definitely disappointing. trying to get setup for when the world get right again.

Comment

I have one I haven't used yet so I can't give you much feed back on it. Pinterest has some neat truck camping setups to where you have an elevated bed in you truck with storage underneath. The down side I see is you have to take it down every time you want to go somewhere in your truck.

Comment

I would spend some time on some of the nomadic lifestyle guy's pages on YouTube. Down to Mob is a good one and has some truck tent info. My take is that you've gotta embrace it fully as it can be a hassle getting in and out, especially during the night.

Comment

Kodiak Canvas makes a nice one. They make a nice regular tent too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would opt for the Kodiak canvas regular tent. That way you have a truck to drive around from camp without taking down camp.
                A nice canvas tent would be close to a dry, sound cabin.

Comment

You will absolutely be more comfortable in a real tent. You can keep the bugs out. Truck bed tents for two people are miserable

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                    I would opt for the Kodiak canvas regular tent. That way you have a truck to drive around from camp without taking down camp.
                    A nice canvas tent would be close to a dry, sound cabin.
                    I would do this right here with a cot. It is a real palace and you can it set up and down in no time.

Comment

I have been looking into a Jumping Jack tent trailer. They are hard to find in these parts, but look like a pretty cool setup. They are actually pretty spacious inside, off of the ground, and the trailer is a toy/cargo hauler until you get to your spot.

cricman

Comment

A good tent with a good cot.
                        As long as weather is good, you can sleep great.
                        Those Kodiak tents are real nice. Looks alot like the Camel Canvas tent we used all the time growing up.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

There are some entry level tents from Pro-Z and others you can try for $150-400, that are pretty nice for a basic one. Go to a foam or upholstery shop and get some 4-6" high density memory foam and you'll sleep great. The downside is there is not much room for anything but sleeping. For real enjoyment and overlanding, there are wonderful ones from Cascade, FSR, RhinoRack and others. Our FSR's are electric and go from stored to full set up in 60 seconds. You will be spending a LOT of money for racks and deluxe tents!!!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Having camped in everything from a tarp to a Class A, I would avoid the truck tent. Truck camper maybe. Otherwise I would go with a larger tent with floor and a double air mattress. Way more room.

Comment

And I can vouch for the regular Kodiak tents. Floor is extremely sturdy and canvas > nylon tents pretty much any day of the week, unless you’re liking for weight savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X