Positive random thought of the day: Gimme a suicide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Positive random thought of the day: Gimme a suicide

When I played baseball growing up in the late 70s, early 80s, the winner of the game got a free drink at the concession stand.

I just had a flashback to telling whatever mom was unlucky enough to be working the stand that I wanted a "suicide". They would then grab a paper coca-cola cup and commence to adding a few ounces each of coke, DP, orange, Sprite, root beer, whatever was on tap.

It tasted horrible, but it was cool to order a suicide.

Was this just a regional Porter/New Caney thing....or a statewide trend?

It was good to win on payday, because mom gave me money to get this:

My brother used to order it and we were living in Washington State at the time.

Comment

We did this in the late 80's to early 90's in Tomball. Free soda after games, not sure if it was just the winner or not. We also used to get a free soda when foul balls were turned in!

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
        My brother used to order it and we were living in Washington State at the time.
        Nation wide! We should bottle it up and sell it in retro stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
          We did this in the late 80's to early 90's in Tomball. Free soda after games, not sure if it was just the winner or not. We also used to get a free soda when foul balls were turned in!
          I forgot about the foul balls. We had to take it to the scorekeeper to get a ticket. Ticket could be redeemed for a drink, a pickle, or something else.

Comment

Our LL baseball was identical to yours......winner got a free drink and suicide was the cool thing to order.. Also late 70s- early 80s in Taft, Texas, San Patricio County

Comment

my son still tries to get a suicide every now and then at the soda macine.

I miss fun dip.

Comment

Same things in League City back in the 70's.

Comment

We did the same in North Texas.

We would also order a Suicide at the skating rink Friday & Saturday night

Comment

Same at Freeway American Little League in the early-mid 70’s. Also loved the Frito Pie in the Frito Bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      Our LL baseball was identical to yours......winner got a free drink and suicide was the cool thing to order.. Also late 70s- early 80s in Taft, Texas, San Patricio County
                      Cool. Some of my best memories.

When I was in 6th grade, our little all-star team played in the Dixie regional tournament in Mabank (I think). I got to pitch against some team from the dallas area that was not impressed with my pitching.
                      Last edited by Chew; 04-06-2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lilavidhunter View Post
                        Also loved the Frito Pie in the Frito Bag.
                        Those were the best. Slit the side of the bag, pour in the mystery meat chili and crockpot cheese!

Comment

Fun Dip, Big League Chew or the Big Hunk for me if we didn't get to go to Dairy King.. lol

I liked to save my Big League Chew pouch and put it in my back pocket while playing for the "cool factor"... Yes sir....**** heathen MLB players chewed tobacco back then and influenced us poor sweet innocent kids.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Big-League-Chew-780x510.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	24613484

Comment

We ordered the same thing back in the ‘60s in PA where I grew up. I can’t remember what I had for dinner last night so there is no way I could remember what the suicide tasted like.

Comment

I loved Big League Chew....but the flavor sure didn't last long!

Comment

Working...
                              X