Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOJ Wants to Suspend Certain Constitutional Rights

From the RollingStone

The Trump Department of Justice has asked Congress to craft legislation allowing chief judges to indefinitely hold people without trial and suspend other constitutionally-protected rights during coronavirus and other emergencies, according to a report by Politico’s Betsy Woodruff Swan.

While the asks from the Department of Justice will likely not come to fruition with a Democratically-controlled House of Representatives, they demonstrate how much this White House has a frightening disregard for rights enumerated in the Constitution.

The DOJ has requested Congress allow any chief judge of a district court to pause court proceedings “whenever the district court is fully or partially closed by virtue of any natural disaster, civil disobedience, or other emergency situation,” according to draft language obtained by Politico. This would be applicable to “any statutes or rules of procedure otherwise affecting pre-arrest, post-arrest, pre-trial, trial, and post-trial procedures in criminal and juvenile proceedings and all civil processes and proceedings.” They justify this by saying currently judges can pause judicial proceedings in an emergency but that new legislation would allow them to apply it “in a consistent manner.”

Who gets their news from Rolling Stone?

Comment

Time to boogaloo

Comment

but it is on the internet. That automatically makes it true....
        Last edited by Rick; 03-22-2020, 08:14 AM.

Comment

It's not Marshall Law bra

Comment

Originally posted by DTala View Post
            Who gets their news from Rolling Stone?
            They have about as much credit as CNN and MSNBC.

Comment

Something has gone awry!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                but it is on the internet. That automatically makes it true....
                Point

but my concern being govt overreach is a slippery slope and while I can remember instances with local govt in local disasters (hurricanes) I can't remember the FEDs looking at something for entire nation?

Comment

Yeah, not sure I would put lots of faith in Rolling Sone news. Now, if they had a centerfold of Shikira.... thAt would be different

Comment

Originally posted by awry View Post
                    Point

but my concern being govt overreach is a slippery slope and while I can remember instances with local govt in local disasters (hurricanes) I can't remember the FEDs looking at something for entire nation?
                    And you still won't be able to remeber a time. I'm sure you could view past copies with hard evidence of,Russian collusion too. Doesn't make it true.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                      Something has gone awry!

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                      And you still won't be able to remeber a time. I'm sure you could view past copies with hard evidence of,Russian collusion too. Doesn't make it true.
                      I don't really agree with the Rolling Stone’s concerns of suspending habeas corpus or "passing a law saying that immigrants who test positive for COVID-19 cannot qualify as asylum seekers" (good thing in my opinion) I do worry about remaining swamp creatures going after first / second amendments, amongst other, under Rahm Emanuel’s philosophy of “You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.”

Maybe I’m just concerned over nothing … we’ll see …

Comment

I swear some of you folks post this panic crap to get the little dopamine shots doctors/scientist say we get when people reply or add feedback to posts we've started. Dopamine is a helluva drug obviously.

Between the liberal sensationalism and our TBHers/FBers with their "reliable sources" it's a wonder the whole country isn't all looting.
                        Last edited by Smart; 03-22-2020, 09:23 AM.

Comment

I doubt it's true. If it is, then no.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                            Time to boogaloo
                            Flugaloo

Comment

Political propaganda set forth by a liberal news agency.

We have an election coming in the fall.

Comment

Working...
                              X