Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a Dirty Little Freak.....

.....Brown Ale.

OK, admittedly I kind of borrowed the theme from the "I need a little screw" post.

And if you don't care for brown ales, only keep reading if you are really bored.

But I did walk into a liquor store and say - I need a Dirty Little Freak - to the guy at the counter. His response was perfect - Don't we all! (they did have the beer, he just wasn't aware of it)

Anyway, as far as beer goes, my favorites are brown ales.

On an east coast vacation a few years ago, I was checking the beer selections at a restaurant and saw Dirty Little Freak brown ale, I figured I better try that based on the name alone.

After one sip, I was like - Oh, my gosh, this is the best tasting beer ever! What is that subtle flavor - never tasted anything quite like it. Had to look it up to find that they call it a 'Coconut Caramel Chocolate Brown Ale'. Had I known that before, I probably wouldn't have even tried it - doesn't sound right to me.

But the taste was awesome. Just enough coconut flavor to make it a bit different, but perfect for my taste buds.

Anyway, that is how I found my favorite beer. Only problem is this beer is made in Maryland and difficult for me to get. Only been far enough east one time since but made sure to find a liquor store or 2 that had it.

I have tried 2 other beers with coconut flavor - one was almost as good as the D.L.F. (Kona Brewing Koko Brown - seasonal, only seen it once) and the 2nd had too much coconut flavor.

I pretty much always try a brown ale I've not had before, when I see them. But my top 2 non-coconut flavored are Moose Drool and Newcastle.

I have tried a few brown ales that had pecan and coffee in the name but never cared for them.

Anyway, this is my long-winded way of asking 2 things:

What other Coconut Brown Ales are out there that I need to try?

What other Brown Ales are out there that I need to try?

I realize that my zip code is a lot different than most here, but I do try to get down to Texas as least one a year - next trip, December/Nilgai. And I guess I like looking for new beers to try - even though I'm a light weight and 1 or 2 is usually enough.

You can't get it over there but our friend down at The Library in Laramie makes a nice Devil's Tower Honey amber ale. We grow some hops and once a year his batch gets our hops added in for a local flavor.
    Moose Drool by Big Sky might interest you.
    Snake River brewing has Dunkeldorf.
    Colorado has a host of good breweries, some are now parts of large conglomerates.

Comment

A good brown from down here is the Brewhouse Brown Ale by Real Ale out of Blanco.

Lagunitas makes the Wilco Tango Foxtrot Imperial Brown, but it is much more on the bitter side.

Brazos Valley Brewing has the 7 Autumn Angels, which is a Brown with a vanilla hint to it.

Abita, which is out of Louisiana, makes the Turbo Dog, which is another good one.

Clown Shoes also makes an Imperial Double Brown called the Double Burnt Caramel. That's probably my favorite one that I've ever had.

I'm not sure I've had a coconut brown before, so I'm of no help there. The closest thing I've had to one of those would probably be a Coconut Merlin from Firestone Walker, but that is more of a milk stout.

Comment

Never heard of that one. My favorite beer by far is Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. That is some good stuff. Naturally the one and only supplier to most of Texas, decided the did not need to carry that brand anymore. It's made by Lexington Brewing & Distilling. I know, because I have looked it up trying to find it. The last time I checked Denton was the closest place that has it, not sure if it's still available there.

Comment

In Nashville, I saw “A Beer Named Sue”. Don’t know if if it was the name but one of the best beers I’ve ever had.

Comment

Brew your own. A good brew store can get the ingredients and guidance to make your own variation of a beer. I make a batch every other month, it's better than you can buy and cost less. The the big advantage is you get what you like, I enjoy the process. Let them know what you like and then if needed how you want to adjust the next batch. I save the receipt or write down the ingredients because after 2 months I don't remember.

Comment

Big fan of Moose Drool, but both Specs and Total Wine said they no longer carry it in the region. My favorite pub used to have it in bottles but stopped carrying it as well. Does anyone know where to find it locally?

Comment

The 903 brewing company has a coconut beer. I've heard good reviews of that beer but I'm just not a fan of that type.

Comment

[QUOTE=Deerslayersh;14801407]Big fan of Moose Drool, but both Specs and Total Wine said they no longer carry it in the region. My favorite pub used to have it in bottles but stopped carrying it as well. Does anyone know where to find it locally?[/QUOTE

I think that maybe what I had in Idaho, when we went there a few years ago. I know it was Moose something, it was **** good. Found some BBQ place up there that was actually pretty good, they had the Moose beer I tried, Moose Drool sounds about right.

Comment

Originally posted by masonred View Post
                    Brew your own. A good brew store can get the ingredients and guidance to make your own variation of a beer. I make a batch every other month, it's better than you can buy and cost less. The the big advantage is you get what you like, I enjoy the process. Let them know what you like and then if needed how you want to adjust the next batch. I save the receipt or write down the ingredients because after 2 months I don't remember.
                    Yup, I don the same. It's fun playing around with ingredients to fit your taste.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                      I think that maybe what I had in Idaho, when we went there a few years ago. I know it was Moose something, it was **** good. Found some BBQ place up there that was actually pretty good, they had the Moose beer I tried, Moose Drool sounds about right.
                      They do have it up north. I had it for the first time here in the Houston area. It is brewed in Montana. When we went to Glacier NP they had it everywhere from Spokane to Banff to Babb. I should have brought home a bunch of it I guess...

Comment

Working...
                      X