No announcement yet.

Ruger vs tikka?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tikka owner here. Very happy, shoots sub 1 moa with Barnes Vortec factory loads. If you want to shoot out of the box without custom gunsmithing it may be the way to go.

As far as plastic, Tikka Performance (Mountain Tactical) here in Bozeman, MT has machined aluminum bolt shrouds, magazines, bottom metal, bolt handles to ‘accessorize’ them. All designed and manufactured here in Montana, USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I much prefer the Tikka safety, I dislike the swinging safety of the M77

Comment

A rifle’s only purpose is to shoot accurately. Who cares how much plastic or metal it has. I’d take a Ruger American over a M77 and a Tikka over the American. I have owned about 6 or 7 M77s and none of them were impressive from an accuracy standpoint. I have never seen an American or a Tikka that didn’t shoot awesome.

Comment

I've got both. Both actions are silky smooth. Both have good looks (after the Boyd's on the Tikka). The Tikka is a little more accurate. The 6MM can shoot under 1" at 100 but the Tikka 22-250 is under 1/2" at 100 yards.
          Attached Files

Comment

I read so many good things about Tikkas now, but with these new Lite rifles isn’t recoil more of an issue?

Comment

I put a Sims Airtech recoil pad on my Tikka T3 Hunter. No recoil pain in my shoulder after shooting a box of 140 grain 7mm Mag. I put it on when I bought it so I have no comparison to the factory pad. My daughter in law has one on her Browning 7mm 08 and said it made a big difference. My Christmas gift last year.

Comment

Tikka for me

Comment

Have both..Tikka has a massive mountain hunting following as they are silky smooth and very reliable.

My m77 is a red pad 25-06 heavy barrel varmint and it's my most accurate gun in the safe, with cheap ammo.

Tikka is a t3x stainless lite in 300wm, very very nice gun and my go to if im buck hunting only. My only complaint is the barrel twist on the .30 calibers for heavier bullets.

If I was buying a new rifle it would be a tikka.

Comment

Hawkeye vs Tikka, Tikka is more accurate right out of the box but for me the standard Hawkeye fits better. The Hawkeyes are more accurate than previous 77. Realistically I'll never shoot past 400 yards and the Ruger is plenty good for whitetails at that range.

Comment

I have both and love both.

Comment

We have both. Wife shoots a Tikka M695 (kinda old) in 25-06. It’s the nicest looking rifle we own. And it will shoot everything we throw down it. Very well. Great trigger (adjustable) too. Her dad gave our son a M77 in 257 Roberts last year. It’s picky about what it likes and shoots “good enough”. Feels solid in your hands.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy either, but I’ll lean toward the Tikka.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
                          I've owned both and own 2 Tikka's currently. Love both but I'd never hesitate to buy a Tikka.
                          agreed 100%

Comment

Got a handful of Tikkas and owned a M77 Hawkeye stainless 30-06. I would love to find another M77 Hawkeye. They're mauser style action is by far the strongest action built. Giant dual extractors with a heavy bolt lug. However, the guns are super heavy for a standard bolt gun, but they are very strong.

My Ruger m77 wouldn't shoot worth a dang when I bought it. I took it to the local gun shop in Stephenville, and for 50 bucks he performed a trigger job, free floated and glass bedded the action, and crowned the barrel. The gun shot under sub MOA easily once he did that.

My Tikkas need zero attention. The Ruger M77 are classics that are well built guns, but they need work to make them on par with the Tikkas.

Comment

If you are more interested in rugged and reliable, go with the Ruger.
                              Adios,
                              Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post

My Ruger m77 wouldn't shoot worth a dang when I bought it. I took it to the local gun shop in Stephenville, and for 50 bucks he performed a trigger job, free floated and glass bedded the action, and crowned the barrel. The gun shot under sub MOA easily once he did that.
                                That’s exactly what mine did, minus the barrel crown. Cost me $53 in 2002

Comment

Working...
                                X