6’x8’ Blind for the wife and dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m no carpenter, so go easy on me. I wanted something my wife and our dogs could all enjoy.

Paint, Deer view windows, camper door, Hand rails, interior, and tie downs are this weekends projects.

Here’s what I was after:
    1. Build once!
    2. Build it big enough for me, my wife, and our two labs
    3. Build it at home in sections to fit on a trailer
    4. Bolt up so I can take it down and move it (although I now know I DON’T want to move it again)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great. Sections is the only way to go with a tower bling IMO.

Comment

Awesome build. My nephew built an 8x8 with a 8x3 porch. I am jealous of y’all.

Comment

Dang, is she a great big fat woman? You could fit a family of 10 in that thing!

Comment

Gotta be more pics that this ???

Comment

Originally posted by Reelthreat View Post
            Dang, is she a great big fat woman? You could fit a family of 10 in that thing!
            hahaha thankfully not! Although the footprint is large, I am telling you I am no carpenter... I am not sure I not sure what the weight limit is.

Plus you never know maybe she will be a big fat woman someday... see criteria #1. Plan for everything.

Comment

I have a few more progress pics, I wasn’t sure how interested people would be.

First the base. It’s 6’x8’ built with 2”x6”s and 1/2” ply then primed with Kilz mildew primer.

Everything is fastened with 2 1/2” screws and metal hurricane hangers.

Next I studded out the walls with true 72” 2”x4”s and framed in my windows and door 1/2” larger than the window openings as Deerview instructs.

Both 8’ walls got 2 12”x24” windows (framed as 12 1/2”x24 1/2”). Had to make a quick change and rotate top 2”x4” of the window frames so the panes will open flush.

The 6’ wall opposite the door has a single 12”x36” window oriented horizontally and the 6’ wall with the door has a 30”x60” door and a vertically oriented 12”x36” window for a delicates bow window.

This picture is looking at the door / bow window side with the frame all mocked up.

Then I added the plywood walls, painted the interior with black storm coat I got for 1/2 price from the oops shelf at home depot and added some black carpet from the floor to the bottom of the windows. I got some tan carpet for free, cut it to size and used some black RitDye to darken it.

I’ll get some more pictures this weekend of the finished product.

Windows and door came in this week!

Comment

Took my Lab with me once to the stand. She was so excited that her wagging tail banged so hard against the side of the stand the whole world knew we were there...

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                  Took my Lab with me once to the stand. She was so excited that her wagging tail banged so hard against the side of the stand the whole world knew we were there...
                  Two labs here, too. We certainly don't take them every time we sit but its fun to bring them along every now and then once its gets good and cold out.

Our older dog (just turned 5) has done very well the past 2 years, she stays on "place" for 3-3.5 hours before getting restless in the mornings, afternoons we make sure she is worn out before we get to the blind she has no issue sitting as long as we feed her on time in the blind. OR when you shoot, she is not a fan of not being able to mark what you're looking at when the gun goes up.

The new pup is just 18 weeks old, she hasn't even left the house yet while we are waiting to finish up all her vaccinations so it will be a test with her.

Just as a side note, if your taking your pups along I suggest not shooting high powered rifles without suppression. I have heard some stories of friends dogs that ended very poorly.

Comment

Very nice, your wife and labs will sure appreciate all your work. Good pics along the way to show how it all came together. Believe you hit all your goals with this nice project. Enjoy it, now come on cold weather.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

great box!

Comment

I like, i like a lot!

Comment

Pretty much got this thing finished up This weekend. Besides some exterior trim, drip edge, and interior things.

Comment

Nice build. Should last forever.

Comment

Working...
                              X