No announcement yet.

Anyone raise worms for bait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My garden has crap hill country soil, it needs help.
    And I like to fish.
    I was looking around in the internet about this just a couple weeks ago.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ozNM-Hb0w"]Compost Worm Farming - YouTube[/ame]

Using table scraps for feed, seems like it would work.
    I haven’t tried.
    I’d prefer to grow night crawlers, but according to the internet they don’t tolerate heat well and take quite a while to grow.

Please keep us updated if you give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
      My garden has crap hill country soil, it needs help.
      And I like to fish.
      I was looking around in the internet about this just a couple weeks ago.

Compost Worm Farming - YouTube

Using table scraps for feed, seems like it would work.
      I haven’t tried.
      I’d prefer to grow night crawlers, but according to the internet they don’t tolerate heat well and take quite a while to grow.

Please keep us updated if you give it a shot.
      Basically, those beds would work just like the bath tub this guys using. I’m going to set one up and see what happens.

Comment

Me and my grandpa raised worms when I was younger. Been wanting to start raising them again. We fed ground corn meal. Keep moist. We raised red wigglers, Alabama jumpers and regular nightcrawlers. PM if you have any questions and Ill try to answer.

Comment

when I was a kid there was some folks up the road that sols worms; they just put table scraps on top of the beds.

Comment

we used to raise worms for awhile. fill the beds with a compost, cow manure mix, keep it moist, throw in some worms, and let 'em go. Feed them some corn meal at the end of the day. When they get numerous enough, the top of the soil mix will churn when you feed them. it's pretty cool.

Add some fresh cow manure from time to time and you're good to go. Good luck.

Comment

I had an uncle that bought an old freezer, buried it, and had all the worms he wanted. I think the top was about 2 inches above ground. I'm sure he added sand and worms of his choice.

Comment

dont overthink it. they are worms. dirt, corn meal, compost, egg shells, etc

Comment

I just started about a month ago in a medium size tub. Don’t know what I’m doing, but I haven’t killed to many yet.

Comment

DONT forget to feed them

Comment

Are there any types that are better suited for Texas temps? They will be inside the barn under shade.

Comment

How long is it before you can start harvesting on a fairly consistent basis without harming your adult (reproductive) numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by rswell2 View Post
                          How long is it before you can start harvesting on a fairly consistent basis without harming your adult (reproductive) numbers?
                          Good question. Anyone know the answer. I read one place it was every 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                            There's a documentary film about a worm farm. 2 guys with a vision. Sadly in the midst of the planning they both got fired, their bird's head fell off and they traveled across country to return a briefcase full of cash. I recommend a van converted into a sheep dog for transport once the worm farm takes off.
                            HAHAHAH! You owe me a new keyboard and another cup of coffee!

Comment

This thread convinced me to purchase the Red Wiggler and European Nightcrawler mix. So far so good.

Uncle Jim's website can lead you to more resources so you can become an expert

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post

That’s crazy! Wish that would work at my lease. So much rock I prob couldn’t get the pole in the ground. I have a hell of a time with T-posts.

Comment

Working...
                                X