"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bioyak View Post
    Sounds like some of you guys know more about the future of Granger WMA than I do (and I sort of run the thing). We (TPWD) will be running the hunts this year (and as far as I know in the future). The drawn hunts will be business as usual - the area will be closed for those hunts and the application for public drawing book is out now (online and scattered around at different TPWD offices - Granger COE office might have some copies).

I am working up a new thread outlinng the post card hunt. The area will not be closed for that hunt. Selected hunters will be authorized to harvest spikes and does during the regular season on GWMA in addition to other APHP listed legal species. Hope to have the specifics on-line today. TREY
    Trey will the other hunting be the same for the following years to come as far as the public land permit is considered. Truth be told all I have really heard so far is hear say.

Thanks
    Muzzy100

Comment

Should all be business as usual - we just won't have Johnny Cathey there giving it the extreme level of attention that he always provided. Hopefully it will be fine - Johnny retired, but Derrick and I still have all the same duties we had before. We also lost another one of the biologists that has historically helped with the GWMA hunts as well. Those of us that are left, after the budget cuts we went through, will be doing some double duty and we will be leaning a little heavier on some of our volunteer guys to help out.
      Last edited by bioyak; 08-11-2011, 09:49 AM.

Comment

thanks Trey

Comment

Sorry for the delay on the story, it has been a busy week. I have been hunting Granger pretty regularly since about Feb. of this year I have hiked and hunted nearly every section out at Granger. I finally found an area that had about 5 wallows that were being used regularly so I began baiting the area out with old produce and corn for about two weeks... I couldn’t wait any longer… I had to go hunt so I decided to go out after work on Monday. I sat for about three hours and finally a small group of pigs came in about 9pm, I waited for a clear shot and smoked him. It was a 20 yard shot from a tree I clipped the spine and hit both lungs. He dropped in his tracks. It felt good to finally get a granger pig after countless hours of hunting Granger public land.

Comment

I will say that good cover scents and playing the wind are a must to be successful at Granger. Also when you shot one be prepared for the 2 mile hike back to the truck…

Comment

9PM? Was'nt that after legal shooting hour at Granger WMA?

Comment

Originally posted by CARNAGE68 View Post
                NAaa it's summer time.... 9 sounds about like sundown. Besides it's hot as f&$k out and granger hogs are hard enough... RelaX!

Comment

Nice piggie. Let's be careful out there.

Comment

Originally posted by CARNAGE68 View Post
                    Actually its half hour before sunrise and half hour after sunset.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Comment

congrats on the hog.

Comment

Originally posted by TJE View Post
                        Sorry for the delay on the story, it has been a busy week. I have been hunting Granger pretty regularly since about Feb. of this year I have hiked and hunted nearly every section out at Granger. I finally found an area that had about 5 wallows that were being used regularly so I began baiting the area out with old produce and corn for about two weeks... I couldn’t wait any longer… I had to go hunt so I decided to go out after work on Monday. I sat for about three hours and finally a small group of pigs came in about 9pm, I waited for a clear shot and smoked him. It was a 20 yard shot from a tree I clipped the spine and hit both lungs. He dropped in his tracks. It felt good to finally get a granger pig after countless hours of hunting Granger public land.
                        Congrats again on the hog..I wont be out there again till it cools off and the snakes are far less...

Comment

Originally posted by TJE View Post
                          Awesome job! Congrats!!!

Comment

i would say thats cutting it close, but nice pig though! what unit were you in?

Comment

Good job. You deserve it, getting out there this time of year.

Comment

Nice job, TJE.

Comment

Working...
                                X