• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow Pilot Taco Soup

We're waiting Joey.

Is this diet Taco Soup?

Comment

Taco soup is a staple at my house! This is one of the few recipes that I know so well that I can go to the store, buy all the correct ingredients, come home and make it without ever reading anything. Even better with fresh chopped cilantro!

Comment

Why do they call it Taco soup? Why not Burtio soup?

Comment

I made some tonight. I'll see if I can give the pixel play-by-play the way Leggie does!

Browned a couple pounds of ground meat with a couple chopped onions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TS3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	23815330

Added some seasonings. See the word "taco?" That's why it's not called burrito soup!

Name:	TS4.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	23815331

Added a few cans of this and that. (Some of it's kinda hot!)

Name:	TS2.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	23815332

Threw in a little freshly chopped cilantro.

Name:	TS5.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	23815333

It looked like this when it was done.

Name:	TS6.jpg
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	23815334

So I put some corn chips in our bowls.

Name:	TS7.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	23815335

And then filled the bowls with taco soup.

Name:	TS8.jpg
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	23815336

Then we ate it!

Tomorrow the leftover soup is going with me to the deer lease. It'll taste even better tomorrow than today!

Thanks, Joey, for sharing the recipe. I've tweaked it here and there. Actually, it seems like I never make it exactly the same way twice! But it's always delicious!

Comment

Well done!

Comment

David, I'm cooking some tomorrow...can't wait. Thanks for sending me the recipe, and thanks, AP for originating it?

Comment

Berandel, the recipe I sent you was my own re-write of the recipe that AP posted on the old site. AP's post had much to do with beer! While it was definitely entertaining, it made the recipe a little harder to follow, so I wrote it out the way you saw it to email to my friends. Also, I added the cilantro as a personal preference.

Since that time, I've run into quite a few people who are familiar with taco soup, so I don't think Joey necessarily "invented" it per se, but he was definitely the one to share it with TBHers on the old recipe forum. It has been a VERY popular recipe around here! And this is where I originally read the recipe, so I give AP all the credit.

I hope AP will come on here and post his humorous version if he still has it. In the meantime, with his indulgence, I will post my "re-write" of his recipe so that others can start enjoying this delicious dish. The recipe itself is (I think) fairly faithful to his original, although written in a more conventional recipe format. The comments in "Variations and Serving Suggestions" are my own.

Arrow Pilot's Famous TACO SOUP

INGREDIENTS:
                • 2 LBS LEAN GROUND BEEF
                • 1 FRESH WHITE ONION
                • 1 CAN DICED ROTEL
                • 2 CANS DICED TOMATOS
                • 1 CAN WHOLE KERNEL CORN (Drained)
                • 2 CANS PINTO BEANS
                • 1 CAN RANCH STYLE BEANS WITH JALAPENOS
                • 1 PKG TACO SEASONING
                • 1 PKG RANCH DRESSING MIX
                • 1 "CLUMP" FRESH CILANTRO (OPTIONAL)
                DIRECTIONS:
                • Chop the onion.
                • If you'll be using cilantro, chop it very finely.
                • Brown the ground beef with the diced onion in a large soup pot.
                • Stir in the taco seasoning and the ranch dressing mix until the meat is evenly coated.
                • Pour in all the canned items, continuing to stir and heat.
                • If you're using cilantro, put that in last after all the canned items.
                • Heat the soup until hot. If you have the time, simmering makes it better.
                Variations and Serving Suggestions:

For those who like it spicier, you can “turn up the heat" by substituting more Diced Rotel for one or both cans of the Diced Tomatos, substituting more Ranch Style Beans with Jalapenos for one or both cans of the Pinto Beans, and/or substituting HOT Taco Seasoning for the regular kind.

I like a thick soup and so I drain the water off the corn and leave the lid off the pot to let some of the water evaporate during heating. If you like a thinner soup, you don't have to drain the corn and you can keep the lid on the pot. For my tastes, the leaner the ground beef, the better. If you use ground beef that is not lean, you’ll probably want to drain off the grease after you brown it and before you add the other ingredients. For a wild game version, you can use ground venison or ground wild pork instead of the lean ground beef.

The soup is good poured over Fritos corn chips or crumbled tortilla chips. Try sprinkling grated cheese over the top and letting it melt in with the soup.

This makes, I'd say, about eight good servings. The original recipe didn't include cilantro, but I found that it really adds flavor and highly recommend it! The soup is actually quite a bit better when reheated the second day. So make a big pot and enjoy the leftovers!

Comment

David, I'm sitting here as I speak enjoying a bowl of taco soup...SON! My wife made it, though, because I was not able to get away from the office early like I had planned. She left the juice from the corn in it and left the lid on the pot as you mentioned, so it has a little more liquid in it which I like. You guys have gotta try this!

My two sons and families (including our first grandson whom we haven't seen since he was born in August!!!!!!!!) are coming in tomorrow, so Dee made TWO large pots.

Thanks for putting me on this, and thanks Joey for posting it previously...gots to try the beer thang!

Comment

What?

This is the "Original Momma ArrowPilot's Taco Soup" recipe!

Ingredients:

2lbs ground hamburger, venison or pork
                    1 onion
                    1 can diced Rotel
                    2 cans diced tomatos
                    1 can whole kernel corn
                    2 cans Pinto beans
                    1 can Ranch Style beans
                    1 pkg taco seasoning
                    1 pkg Ranch Dressing mix
                    12 pack of Keystone. Quite possibly a 30pk!

Directions:

drink 1 beer
                    chop onion
                    cry in empty beer can
                    drink another beer
                    brown meat, with onion
                    drink another beer
                    pour entire contents of everything else in with meat and let simmer
                    drink another beer
                    set in refrigerator over nite
                    drink another beer and take family out to eat
                    serve for supper tommorrow nite
                    goes good with beer
                    Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                    l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                    ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

I made some today but forgot about the corn.

Comment

Thanks for the recipe guys. I made some Sunday and it was great. Made for a great dinner and an even better lunch on Monday.

Comment

Quick and easy. Freezes well too.

Comment

Tried it, Loved It!!! Thanks for the recipe!
                            Something soooo good, soooo easy!!!

Comment

Making some now and cornbread to go with it. It tastes great just tasting and added 1 large Trappeys jalapeno split in half to give it just a lil heat. Been simmering awhile and can't wait to eat. Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Working...
                              X