Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think was wrong with this coyote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think was wrong with this coyote?

So last weekend I shot a coyote that was hanging around the local convenience store. It kept coming up to people at the gas pumps and they were having to keep it away with a shovel someone had. It finally moved on and I caught up to it and when I pulled up beside it, it just looked at me for a second or two then turned and starting walking away. Its head hung unusually low when it walked like it was tired or something. I called fish and game in case they wanted to test it for rabies but apparently they didn't because it's still right where I shot it.

My guess is it was rabid or had eaten poison of some kind and was on the verge of dyin.

He wasn't limping like he was wounded and looked normal just had odd behavior for a wild animal.
    Last edited by okrattler; 05-08-2021, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Yep

Comment

He was walkin'.

When I was still working shift work they would hang around wherever we were and at break time and lunch time, whatever someone didn't eat would just get thrown out on the ground. After a while they learned when breaks/lunch would be and they would start coming around where we would stop. On some of the times when the weather was nice, we would get off of the equipment and stand around and visit. Well, the 'yotes got used to us and would come in closer to where some guys were getting them to come up and eat out of their hand like pets. I personally have hand fed a coyote a couple bites of sandwich or little debbie cake. This was in a somewhat controlled environment as these had grown up around people and machinery their entire lives and hadn't ever had had to scrounge or fight for the next meal. I was more at ease with these coyotes than with some folks pets.
        Sorry about that. I just had a recollection to share.
        Last edited by Pstraw; 05-08-2021, 03:52 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking somebody injected him with Covid vaccine.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
            I'm thinking somebody injected him with Covid vaccine.
            That may have been it. Didn't do him much good. Covid #4buck got him. It's a common strain of Covid found in critters in this part of Oklahoma. A 0% survival rate for those unfortunate enough to catch it.

Comment

Definitely sick based on behavior

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                Definitely sick based on behavior
                DISTEMPER, not rabies.

Comment

If that's the case, which I'll never know then that can't be the only animal out there that is sick.

Comment

I’d say distemper

Comment

Working...
                    X