Problem with trolling motor mounts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with trolling motor mounts.

Had to replace the rubber T mounts that hold the trolling motor to the boat. The ones I replaced had been there for years and finally wore out. I’ve tried 2 diff mounts and I keep having the same problem. The bolts keep getting loose and as I tighten them The nut that goes down in the rubber keeps working it’s way up the piece of rubber. I can’t get to the underside of the front of the boat to put a bolt through and a washer and nut. Any suggestions?
    Attached Files

Ive used stainless nutserts for similar application's in aluminum boats, fiberglass they may not hold and could waller out with movement.

Comment

Glass or metal boat?

My ranger roof is held on with the nutserts and has been that way since 2009. Ive not had any issues with them coming loose. But Id guess a troller would take a little more beating depending on the hull

Comment

Do not use inserts on your cap fiberglass cap for a trolling motor. You will eventually regret that for sure. The rubber t-nuts work great. Use blue loc-tite on the screws and get them as tight as possible by hand. Will last for years.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

The boat is fiberglass

Comment

Had an express with the stainless inserts one I broke those I went through a couple of sets of those rubber pieces of junk. Finally just cut an access hole and had a cover made for it so I could put bolts in it.

Comment

Also I don’t think the nut itself is coming loose but it’s working up the insert. The last ones I had in there they finally worked all the way up the rubber insert. It’s strange because the first ones in it lasted for years and since then they last about 3 weeks before they fail.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by Cur_Dog View Post
                  Also I don’t think the nut itself is coming loose but it’s working up the insert. The last ones I had in there they finally worked all the way up the rubber insert. It’s strange because the first ones in it lasted for years and since then they last about 3 weeks before they fail.
                  Same on my xpress and even started strapping the motor down crossing the lake. I was able to crawl into the deck and bolt it.

There isn't a switch panel or anything up front to reach through

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    Same on my xpress and even started strapping the motor down crossing the lake. I was able to crawl into the deck and bolt it.

There isn't a switch panel or anything up front to reach through

Was going to strap it down and see if that helps. I do have a small switch plate but not big enough to get a hand in. Even if it was bigger not sure I could reach where I needed to get.

It’s just strange that the original mounts from years ago worked and now all the new ones don’t. Quality I’m guessing.

Also thought about using those nuts that have metal wings on them (toggle?) but to get the size that would fit through the hole they might be to flimsy.

Comment

Anyone else having this issue?

Comment

Can you mount an aluminum plate to the deck and extend it back to a point where you can get to the back side to thru bolt it? Lots of folks have to do that with the tiny little bases on the new ipilots and similar. I see it done all the time. You can line it all up and drill the holes thru the plate for your trolling motor to mount to. counter sink them so the screw heads are flush with the bottom of the plate and bolt your trolling motor to the aluminum plate. Then thru bolt the aluminum plate to the deck farther back where you can access it.

I don't know exactly what you are working with but it's done all the time with bay boats.

Comment

Thanks I’ll look into that.

Comment

Very common problem. Cut an access hole, through bolt the mount with fender washers under the deck and use nylocks.

Comment

I dont use those mounts at all , eventually in rough water they will work loose. I run a 20' Basscat before this one i ran two different Basscat P2's. I have always purchased those rubber washers from our local hardware store or lowes. I use stainless bolts and lock nuts on the bottom side. Running many different lakes all over and sometimes in some crazy conditions i have never had my minkota come loose.

Comment

Working...
                              X