Will Shaka survive???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
    Thread is complete now that we have Dale's completely unnecessary opinion on the sport. We don't care Dale. Lol.

Basketball is the only other revenue producing sport at the college level.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Plus it's the sport with the most parity. Can you imagine Abilene Christian v. UT in Football? Oral Roberts Football wouldn't have advanced to Sweet 16 against Florida Football. But in college basketball, you can find studs in the most obscure places...Steph Curry at Davidson comes to mind...and those small teams can give anyone a fit on any given night. SFA over Duke comes to mind as well. That parity makes CBB fun to watch, at least for me.
    Last edited by curtintex; 03-22-2021, 12:56 PM.

Comment

First, I’ll take Angelo. Maybe ACU? Second, ORU doesn’t play football.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalorider View Post
        The biggest problem with Tech is Lubbock. No one wants to live there. Middle of nowhere with really nothing going on for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Says the guy from the hotspot of Lufkin.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
          First, I’ll take Angelo. Maybe ACU? Second, ORU doesn’t play football.
          Good catch. You see what I'm saying.....not playing football makes it even harder to beat Florida.

Comment

I'd say Shaka is probably gone. UT had a decent season based on some measures. They had a good win loss record and were in the top 25 significant amount of the season and even cracked the top 10 at one point. The issue is overall, UT was 3rd in the Big 12 (although the 12 has morphed into a pretty good B-ball conference) and got booted in the first round of the NCAA tournament. I agree with a poster above that said if they had made the sweet sixteen, this probably wouldn't be a discussion. This being his 6th season and probably a high point, doesn't help much either.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
              I started to make a list of better coaching jobs than TT, but when I got to about 50, including “every ACC school”, I realized I could explain it, but I can’t help him understand it.

why is there still no like button on this forum?

Comment

I kinda think he'll get another year. Won the big 12 tourney, won a ton of games against ranked opponents. Beat Kansas twice. Literally had one loss against an unranked opponent all year (poor timing). Texas played a terrible game against ACU. It's really not Shaka's fault they turned the ball over 23 times. They still should've won. How unlucky to play perfect defense on the last play, get a block, have it hit the bottom of the backboard, go straight to a player on the other team who gets barely bumped while trying to do a 21 style tip-in 8 feet from the rim, and have a foul called on the play. Half their schedule was against ranked opponents this year, and they had a winning record in those games. I'm as upset as the next UT fan, but I doubt he goes. He's bringing in a ton of talent right now. This UT team, as bad as the ACU loss is, was talented enough to make a very deep run. Many of those players are coming back next year, and they're going to be really good again. I doubt he goes anywhere. I won't really be upset much either way. I've seen definitely improvement in the program over the last couple of years, but he's also surely running out of time.

Comment

Beard isn't going to Indiana. I don't think he is going to Texas either, but it is slightly more possible than Indiana.

Shaka is gone, whether CDC fires him or he finds himself a new home.

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
                    I kinda think he'll get another year. Won the big 12 tourney, won a ton of games against ranked opponents. Beat Kansas twice. Literally had one loss against an unranked opponent all year (poor timing). Texas played a terrible game against ACU. It's really not Shaka's fault they turned the ball over 23 times. They still should've won. How unlucky to play perfect defense on the last play, get a block, have it hit the bottom of the backboard, go straight to a player on the other team who gets barely bumped while trying to do a 21 style tip-in 8 feet from the rim, and have a foul called on the play. Half their schedule was against ranked opponents this year, and they had a winning record in those games. I'm as upset as the next UT fan, but I doubt he goes. He's bringing in a ton of talent right now. This UT team, as bad as the ACU loss is, was talented enough to make a very deep run. Many of those players are coming back next year, and they're going to be really good again. I doubt he goes anywhere. I won't really be upset much either way. I've seen definitely improvement in the program over the last couple of years, but he's also surely running out of time.
                    I'm hearing quite the opposite. They are losing a ton of upper classmen and two youngsters. They won't bring back much experience at all.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't see Beard leaving for UT or IU. I get that Indiana is a storied program but lets not forget that was a loooooong time ago. I mean known Powers fall off all the time and IU has been no different. Obviously I get the nostalgia of IU but just don't see it as that attractive of a job these especially when the money is the same. I would say the same for UCLA. Lol UCLA, arguably the most storied basketball programs, couldnt even get Jamie Dixon from TCU last year. Beard is a Texan 110% with deep roots and i don't see him leaving any time soon unless maybe Duke or North Carolina open up.

As for UT, not worried about them. UT's culture and Beard's approach would clash immediately. Just doesnt seem like a good fit all around. And if the money is the same dont see him leaving West Texas bc why would he? New state of the art basketball facility, Top 10 recruiting classes, wins, family in WTX and 4th highest paid coach in college basketball. Give me WTX, College Station or Fort Worth any day over weird over crowded Austin.

I think it's time for people to accept that Beard is Tech's coach and might be time to stop throwing his name out there every year as if he wants out bc as he's made it clear he loves where he's at and he's gettin rich doing it.

Comment

But back to UT, to fire a coach who won the conference tourney, won a lot of games and had a bad showing in the NCAA tourney is crazy. March Madness is just that, madness, Anything can happen. I would think Shaka's accolades this year definitely bought him another year to follow up this season even if he is losing players.
                        Last edited by Fmjag64; 03-22-2021, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                          But back to UT, to fire a coach who won the conference tourney, won a lot of games and had a bad showing in the NCAA tourney is crazy. March Madness is just that, madness, Anything can happen. I would think Shaka's accolades this year definitely bought him another year to follow up this season even if he is losing players.
                          Shaka wouldn't be getting fired because he lost to ACU. He'd be getting fired because his best year in six seasons at Texas with a roster full of upper classmen resulted in a first round loss to a 14 seed. This was the best Texas can expect from Shaka.

That ain't good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalorider View Post
                            The biggest problem with Tech is Lubbock. No one wants to live there. Middle of nowhere with really nothing going on for it.

Guess someone forgot to tell the last few top ranked recruiting classes that

Middle of nowhere? You must've never been to Ames Iowa, Stillwater or Norman Oklahoma....Lubbock bigger than all 3 combined. Way more college towns than not are small towns in some random city, so never really understood this argument.
                            Last edited by Fmjag64; 03-22-2021, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Tennessee pays Rick Barnes $4.7 million per year? Man,,,,, that is robbery lol

Comment

Texas Basketball should fire Shaka and get Urban Meyer

Comment

Working...
                                X