JFT Turkey Tour 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
    Got on the board this evening with a 22 pound, no spurred turkey. Henned up something fierce. Dozen hens and two toms working them. Got him to come in for a closer look. He actually hopped over the fence, abandoning the live hens to come see. Blew my mind as I could see him clear as day from 150 yards out. Committed to hunting without decoys this spring. Been watching too much Dave Owens. Can’t believe he came to 30 looking my direction the entire time in an attempt to figure out where that hen was. Had a pretty good hide I guess, but for him leave hens, cross the fence, and work his way into gun range went against all of the rules.

Interesting crop JM...

Comment

JFT Turkey Tour 2021

Opening day was a Dream day in the turkey woods. JBone and I tripled up near Ozona. We were running and gunning together, birds going nuts. Called in 12 Strutters in 4 sets. More Gobbling then I’ve ever heard, non stop action from first light to noon. The birds were putting on a show - strutting, firing off, drumming, spitting. What an experience! Saturday afternoon and Sunday AM were dead. Funny how birds can change so fast.

Enjoying everyone’s pics. Congrats all

Last edited by James; 03-22-2021, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
        Opening day was a Dream day in the turkey woods. JBone and I tripled up near Ozona. We were running and gunning together, birds going nuts. Called in 12 Strutters in 4 sets. More Gobbling then I’ve ever heard, non stop action from first light to noon. The birds were putting on a show - strutting, firing off, drumming, spitting. What an experience! Saturday afternoon and Sunday AM were dead. Funny how birds can change so fast.

Solid

Congrats man. How the birds acting in La Vernia?

Comment

JFT Turkey Tour 2021

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
          Solid

Congrats man. How the birds acting in La Vernia?

I let my buddy go hunt it this last weekend and he killed a Great Bird. He had two come in quiet on him. Looked up and they were on his decoys.

We Finally got one with some nice spurs for that place. I’m going to hunt it this week when I can get away from work. Lots of birds on camera. Saving one tag for that triple beard on cam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I let my buddy go hunt it this last weekend and he killed a Great Bird. He had two come in quiet on him. Looked up and they were on his decoys.

We Finally got one with some nice spurs for that place. I’m going to hunt it this week when I can get away from work. Lots of birds on camera. Saving one tag for that triple beard on cam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice birds!

Comment

JFT Turkey Tour 2021

Opening weekend was a heck of a success. Took my 3 year old daughter opening morning to James’s place and even though the turkeys did not get the memo we had a blast. Of course some electronics where involved but I failed to get pictures of her helping me run a box call and waving her hand out the window to check how cold it was!

My sister wanted to watch her that evening and with the missus out of town, I headed down to Pearsall to chase birds with my dad. I got to the ranch around 3:30 and after splitting up areas I started making sets. My first two 45 minute sets were a bust and not a gobble to be heard but when I just about to my 3rd set I heard a gobble back towards my 2nd set. Immediately turned around and walked down the edge of a long field knowing the gobblers were on the other side of a thick brush strip to my left.

Stopped with a decoy at the ready and let out a few light yelps and the gobblers cut me off! They sounded about 50 yards ahead and on the other side of the the thick brush. I hastily put out the single hen decoy and jumped in the brush.

I yelped again but this time no answer, 10 minutes later I again yelped but with the same result. Decided to give it another 15 minutes and looked behind me, up the long field coming slowly to my hen was two toms spittin and strutting!

Held my nerves and when the bigger of the two came past he turn just enough to give me a shot and i hammered him

Came back home that night and decided to hunt James’s place solo in the morning, even though it was tough hunting opening morning. I went with a single hen decoy and left the Jake at home.

It was real slow at first light but around 7:45 I heard a hen yelping and decided to call her in. She got within 60 yards but I never saw her and she got tight lipped, oh well.

I have been thinking about getting a tactacam reveal and I was trying to find one online before I got up to move when I heard unmistakable spit drumming of a gobbler. I looked up and there was two toms investigating my decoy, quickly got my gun up and dropped the hammer on the bigger of the two!!

Last edited by cwbrown; 03-22-2021, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Dang Chad can you post some bigger pics? Can't hardly see them!

Congrats to all the successful hunters on opening weekend. Glad the birds are acting right already.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Interesting crop JM...
                  With a face only a mother could love I don’t blame him for hiding it.....🤣

Comment

Nate and I were hunting together Saturday and were talking about your hunt. Congrats! Epic morning.

Comment

First bird gobbled at 6:12 this morning and heard him fly down at 7:08a. he walked the 200ish yards to me lightly yelping at him, saw the dekes and took the trail through the oak mott that led behind me by about 30 yards. He had zero interest in the DSD's. I was backed up against a big live oak that had an understory of jumping cactus around me so I just listened to him gobble as he walked off to never be seen again. Had three groups totaling 7 hens filter thru the oak mott throughout the morning with no gobbler in sight....

Will give them another try in the morning hopefully my luck changes!

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                        First bird gobbled at 6:12 this morning and heard him fly down at 7:08a. he walked the 200ish yards to me lightly yelping at him, saw the dekes and took the trail through the oak mott that led behind me by about 30 yards. He had zero interest in the DSD's. I was backed up against a big live oak that had an understory of jumping cactus around me so I just listened to him gobble as he walked off to never be seen again. Had three groups totaling 7 hens filter thru the oak mott throughout the morning with no gobbler in sight....

Should have sat closer to the feeder like I told you

Turkeys love corn!

Comment

JFT Turkey Tour 2021

Tag 3 punched at my family farm. Solid Bird! Took everything I had to not tag out when his buddy starting fighting him flopping.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                            Should have sat closer to the feeder like I told you

Turkeys love corn!
                            The purist jmalin wouldn't approve such actions!

Comment

Tag 3 punched at my family farm. Solid Bird! Took everything I had to not tag out when his buddy starting fighting him flopping.

Nice bird!

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post

Rained out?

Comment

Working...
                                X