• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice job

Comment

Well done!!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        **** nice work on that antler. You care to describe the process and material you used on the build up?
        Gracias. Long winded but... here’s how I did it.

Started by sanding down the broken area using a Dremel and removing most of the dirt/debris in the general area. Drilled a hole about 1/2” deep, filled it with superglue and then sunk a piece of coat hanger into it to form the skeleton. Used JB Weld Kwikwood and molded the tine, letting it cure for about an hour or two. Then grabbed some 220 grit sandpaper to shape it the best I could and make the transition from antler to mold look a bit more seamless. This is where it got tricky. I used Miniwax stain (natural oak) to try and match the color, however, you could still see a definitive line where the epoxy started and the colors were still off. In addition to that, the tine itself looked unnaturally smooth so it was back to the drawing board. I worked it a little more with some sandpaper to try and break up the solid look in hopes that it’d give it some different hues of brown but again it still wasn’t where I wanted it to be. At that point I was unsure what to do next so I went back to Ace and was milling around when I found what I thought might actually work ... a miniwax blend-fil #8 pencil. Got home and started drawing on the new tine like it was a coloring book, beginning from the main beam and working it up through the tine, applying less pressure the closer I got to the tip. This instantly gave it a more textured look and some true definition as it started to cake on. Once I got it to where I was happy with it I put a few light top coats of polycrylic clear matte finish and called it a day.

All trial and error (and I’m sure there may be an easier or more efficient way) but I hope this helps if anyone ever wants to give it a shot.

Comment

Well, I had to look at the additional photos to see which one was repaired.

Heck of a job!

Comment

Looks dang good to me, I’d be very happy if it was my deer. Great work.

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Excellent work!!!

Comment

very nice

Comment

Jam up job. Even knowing where the seem is you can't see it

Comment

Looks as natural as can be. I’m curious though. If it was for a buddy, why didn’t you shape it into a fist flipping him off???

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Waydago, very nice

Comment

Impressive

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

Great job.

Comment

Working...