Chronic wasting disease tse prion update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
    I won’t deny that CWD is a problem. However, I will quote the OP’s original article:

The idea that this will be transmitted to humans is a scare tactic. CWD’s been around a long time and it’s never happened. And I believe it never will happen (unless China gets any bright ideas ).
    CWD=Covid19???

Comment

So, flounder09, tell us about your self. I see of the 47 post you've made on this sight, all but 3 have been in reference to CWD. That's 47 post on nearly the very same subject over a 5 year span.

Comment

Originally posted by Longue Carabine View Post
        No one is testing humans, so it can't be claimed that no human has ever had the disease. But if humans have had it, the incidence is low enough to not be noticed.
        It has been claimed, declared and repeated about a hundred times. It was even claimed by the article the OP posted. You think this is like some exotic undiscovered species from the amazon? Somehow it has gone undiscovered over the last 50 years? Even after the mad cow outbreaks? Does that really sound feasible to you?

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
        Would you eat a backstrap from a CWD positive deer?
        Yes. I ain't skeerd. But then again, I've never understood those who live in fear. Now I wouldn't eat its brains or organs (heart excepted) even if it was big enough to forego the gutless method. But then again, I've never been much of an organ fan anyways.

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
        CWD=Covid19???
        LOL. No. Virus and prions are two very different things. In fact, if they were ever to figure out how to weaponize prions it would make COVID look like allergies. Prions are scary. Scorched earth and the prions are still there. That being said, a good sci-fi writer could really write a best seller with a little research.

Comment

This is the longest page 1 I’ve ever seen, so here’s me doing my part to get it to page 2.

Comment

LOL. No. Virus and prions are two very different things. In fact, if they were ever to figure out how to weaponize prions it would make COVID look like allergies. Prions are scary. Scorched earth and the prions are still there. That being said, a good sci-fi writer could really write a best seller with a little research.
            There are many books out there already. I’ve listened to a few on Audible but would have to look through my library to see which ones. Prions are by far the most scary disease mechanism.

Comment

It has been claimed, declared and repeated about a hundred times. It was even claimed by the article the OP posted. You think this is like some exotic undiscovered species from the amazon? Somehow it has gone undiscovered over the last 50 years? Even after the mad cow outbreaks? Does that really sound feasible to you?
              Stating that no human cases have been documented, and stating that there has definitively never been a human case are two completely different things. No one can prove the latter. And yes, it is entirely feasible that a human case (or several) have gone undetected since no one is testing humans. Especially when the symptoms can be misdiagnosed as other disease states such as dementia or Alzheimers.

I am not claiming humans have been infected. I am simply saying we don't know. There needs to be vigilance in the medical community going forward in cwd saturated areas of the country and they should begin posthumous testing if symptoms are present
              Last edited by Longue Carabine; 01-01-2021, 12:54 AM.

Comment

My ranch backs up to the old Texas Mountain Ranch, now called Nocona Ranch. They are still hunting this place for exotics and WT. I find it interesting that they can still make money on WT hunts over there but GW says they have no authority except not allowing the breeding facility to reopen. Old owner was uncooperative with TPWD and I will not speak about new owner except that he has told me he is different. So far he has not made a good impression on me, but he doesn’t need to I guess.

Comment

Stating that no human cases have been documented, and stating that there has definitively never been a human case are two completely different things. No one can prove the latter. And yes, it is entirely feasible that a human case (or several) have gone undetected since no one is testing humans. Especially when the symptoms can be misdiagnosed as other disease states such as dementia or Alzheimers.

I am not claiming humans have been infected. I am simply saying we don't know. There needs to be vigilance in the medical community going forward in cwd saturated areas of the country and they should begin posthumous testing if symptoms are present

Actually what you are alluding too would be tested because it would be a variant-of Creutzfeldt-Jakob. You wouldn’t mis-diagnose it as dementia.. not even close to same degenerate symptoms.

As it stands no transfer has been no found. Everything else speculation

Flounder is on record wanting all WT’s eliminated. He wants a scorched earth policy.

Comment

No one is testing humans, so it can't be claimed that no human has ever had the disease. But if humans have had it, the incidence is low enough to not be noticed. Assuming it has never happened, there is no reason to assume it could never happen in the future. It has been well documented that the ability of prions (not unlike viruses) to infect other species can be changed by particular hosts, such as the black footed ferret.
                    Got any date on black footed ferrets and CWD cause my spouse worked on the ferret program for over 9 years, at Sybille research facility, no CWD in ferrets at all and no inkling of it. He did filed work and husbandry of the animals themselves.
                    I call BS on that ferret statement.

Variant CJD and other forms are very strictly reported and monitored. We live in the endemic area and to date not 1 case of variant CJD.
                    Show me date on animals that get it without intracranial exposure or manipulated prions .
                    Studies have not been peer reviewed that show it crossing species, in fact the monkey study was not able to be replicated.

Comment

By this logic we can’t say for certain Bigfoot doesn’t exist. Just because one has never been discovered doesn’t mean for certain they’re not out there. So maybe we should just say that CWD affecting humans is less likely than discovering Bigfoot.

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                      Flounder is on record wanting all WT’s eliminated. He wants a scorched earth policy.
                      Actually, you could burn down the forest and the prions will still be there.

Comment

Working...
                      X