Big Bend Trip Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bend Trip Suggestions

Looking at taking the kids to Big Bend over spring break for 4 or 5 days. Suggestions on places to stay (we’re not camping). I know ATV’s aren’t aloud inside Big Bend, so looking for places to take the SXS’s. Any other suggestions of things to do and places to see are welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My suggestion is reserve a room now if your not camping! Terlingua.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Starlight Theater is good iconic place. Not great food but good history plus has local music and the store next to it has a lot of local interest. In Big Bend park, need to see Santa Elena Canyon, if hiking do the south rim and if not a big hiker at least the Window trail. Also in Big Bend park, if Rio Grande is not up, go to the hot springs on the river. Hiking is why I go so not certain about other actviities.

Comment

We went in September and stayed a few different places. While we enjoyed the Gage Hotel in Marathon it’s better for a couples kind of getaway in my opinion. The Gage gardens were a nice oasis and the bbq almost next door was good.

We then stayed at the Far Flung cabins in Terlingua and really enjoyed it more as a family place to stay. They are simple ranch style cabins but give you a little more privacy in your room as a family. It also felt closer to get in and around Big Bend. Old town Terlingua locals made it feel more like a place for drunks and people who want to disappear but it’s not a bad place to stay due to location and history. As some of Big Bend was still closed when we went we didn’t get to see all of the park as we had hoped, but offset that with going into Big Bend Ranch. I highly suggest driving the river road through the ranch state park and stopping for the closed canyon trail and maybe the hoodoos. Driving into the ranch itself is a trek to the headquarters but it’s a different vibe than Big Bend itself and not a bad option if the weather or clouds hamper any days within the National park.

After that we went into Fort Davis and stayed at the lodge on the state park and went to the observatory for one of their night presentation deals. All this was over about a week with a wife who stays in hotels for a living and is opinionated about them and a 3 year old who can’t sit still. It was a good trip and each area and hotel had its unique perks.

If you’re headed there via I-10 I suggest taking Hwy 90 out West. It was a nicer drive than running I-10 back home going East.

Alpine was also a nice place for dinner if staying in Marathon and the drive between Fort Davis and Alpine is nice. Marathon is essentially Gage properties and then a sleepy shell of a town outside of those investment businesses.
        Last edited by bdubb; 01-17-2021, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Gage hotel room, closed canyon trail and an overlook within Big Bend Ranch SP
          Last edited by bdubb; 09-08-2021, 09:54 PM.

Comment

We’re going in March...in for more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We stayed in Alpine

If you have not already made reservations you may be limited on what is available

HOWEVER
              With the Vid going on you may get lucky

We went a couple of years ago
              It is an awesome place
              We hiked to "The Window" and it was a great experience
              We hiked several of the shorter trails and had a great time

We spent the night in Midland or Odessa on the way so we could hit Monahans SP and Balmorhea
              The McDonald Observatory was an experience as well

Take some warm clothes, nights get pretty cool

Comment

balmorhea state park to
                Marathon, gage hotel to
                Chisos Basin lodge, BBNP to
                Lajitas resort to
                Alpine to
                Davis Mountains state park lodge and McDonald observatory to
                Marfa (if you want to see some real weirdos from LA) lol

Comment

Lotta good suggestions already.I'll add this.Breakfast at Lajitas golf club.

Comment

Rent a stand alone cabin from Lajitas resort.

They have a pretty cool shooting instructor that will do a variety of different shooting scenarios

Run around Terlingua
                    Hike around the resort
                    Play some golf
                    Go check out the fossils in the park
                    Sit out under the stars and get wasted
                    Zip line

I can’t wait to go back

Comment

Working...
                    X