Should I cancel my health insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingib View Post
    With a family, I could not and wouldn't have the balls to do it.

Just in case something ever happened. Especially with kids.
    Bottom line.....I will not sacrifice my family's future for $25k or so. Dont talk about LTC costs. We are doubled insured as the downside is hellish. We even have Global Travel Insurance to make sure premium care is available 24/7 anywhere in the [emoji289] or around the corner.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

But Barak said.....

Comment

I could not, in good conscience, tell anyone to go without health insurance.

I would be scared to death to not have it, all it takes is one event!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Me, my wife and son were always healthy, 7 years ago my wife was pregnant with our second the Sunday after thanksgiving her she started leaking amniotic fluid from a tear in the sack. This was at 26 weeks she spent 3weeks on bed rest in the hospital until the tear worsens late one night and the doctors called it. Emergency C section at 1:00 in the morning my daughter was born December 16th wasn’t due till early March. She was 11 weeks early and spent 61 days in NICU.

She is healthy as a horse and one of the toughest kids I know. Had it not been for health insurance I would still be buried under that load even at half. To me I will pay the premiums and know we are covered. I when my daughter got released I wrote a 10K check (maximum out of pocket) and never looked back

Comment

I’m paying about 20,000 a year with high deductibles fo me and the ex. I was always healthy and mainly had it for her health issues I started getting strange sickness about 6 years ago a few times in hospital they took my gallbladder it helped but was still sickly and got worse and started affecting my work and income finally figured out it was Lyme,started getting treatment and still had issues and hospital stays till they found out I had rocky mtn spotted fever.I’m finally getting better but I don’t know where I’d be if I didn’t have insurance honestly probably dead because I wouldn’t have been able to afford the various doctors and tests on my own especially when sickness reduced my income.I weighed this out a lot and made it a mater of prayer and I’m so glad I erred on the side of caution and kept the insurance.It really does suck how much we pay to be diligent and self sufficient when it seems so many get by on a whim.

Comment

My employer covers myself and my families insurance at NO cost(it is a high deductible and out-of-pocket insurance coverage plan). My salary is adjusted accordingly for that compared to other employers but it feels good to not see those charges come out of the check each week. They also pay for a life insurance policy which you can increase if you like at your own expense. I'd hate to know the cost they pay for these insurances. I'd be curious to know how many companies actually do this, got to be few and far between.

Comment

catastrophic public insurance for all, HSA's for everything else.

Comment

How do you folks without insurance get past the requirement to provide proof you have insurance when filing your taxes?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas276 View Post
                    How do you folks without insurance get past the requirement to provide proof you have insurance when filing your taxes?
                    I was thinking the same thing. Isnt there a fine for not having Healthcare; a side effect of Obamacare? Perhaps people with no insurance just pay the fine?

Comment

pretty sure the tax penalty went away when Trump came in, and even if it didn't, it's still far cheaper than premiums.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas276 View Post
                        I have never had it and never had to pay a penalty. I'm not sure how I didn't but nothing was ever said.

Comment

Whether you think yourself and family are very healthy or not, going without some form of heath insurance is a gamble.

Heathy people get sick everyday. Healthy people with no previous medical issues can get cancer. Healthy people get into serious accidents.

At the very least, I'd carry some form of catastrophic/emergency coverage that has a deductible that won't completely break you.

The Company I work for has a partially self-insured medical plan with around 1,200 participants. The Company also carries additional coverage for individual claims exceeding $250K. I can tell you that every year, there's around 10 claims that exceed that threshold. Is that a lot, not really, but it does display that roughly 1% of the participants in the plan have a major issue either with themselves or an immediate family member each year. Not worth the risk, especially if you have children imo.

Comment

Tax penalty went away with trump.
                            I sat in a court room and watched a judge award a judgment to a hospital against a man.
                            I saw some of the bills my Father's insurance payed from when he was in the hospital.
                            I pay over $18,000. A year, but I can’t afford not to have it. They can place a judgment on everything but your homestead.

Comment

Lots of people go without insurance and they get primary care through the most expensive way possible raising the cost of care and insurance for everyone else. Because a lot of us do have insurance, there are a lot of unneeded profit centers within our medical system. The insurance companies do not care because their profits are based on a percentage. Would you rather have a percentage of 1k or 1M? I work with Canadians and their government based system has it's own problems so socialized medicine does not appear to be a solution. It is pretty easy to point out the problems real solutions do not come so easy.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                                With a family, I could not and wouldn't have the balls to do it.

Just in case something ever happened. Especially with kids.

This. With two boys at home playing sports not worth the risk to me.

You cannot afford not to have it IMO. Dont risk what you have worked for if something were to happen. One car wreck, one accident or one unexpected diagnosis could wipe you out.
                                Last edited by wellingtontx; 01-18-2021, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X