2021 Pinewood Derby is in the books!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2021 Pinewood Derby is in the books!

Due to Covid, we were only allowed to use the church gym, on Saturday, so set-up started at 9:00 am. We were done, by about noon, so we thought. Our track timer was on the blitz, and after an hour of jacking with it, at race time, we decided to run the races using the software generated schedules, with a visual finish, and points entered into a spreadsheet ... instead of the timer generated times and computer recorded results.

It wasn't as dynamic as seeing the software results, but the boys still had a blast. Next year we'll be better prepared, even if I have to buy a new timer!

Konnor took 1st in his den (wolf, which is year 2 of 4), without any serious threats. He went on to take first in the pack, as well.

The only car that was even close is in the bear den (year 3 of 4), so he'll be back next year.

I built a car, for myself, to race in the geezer division, and won 1st place there. The cubmaster, that I replaced, came in 2nd. My car was named Molasses. There were a lot of confused faces until I gave my short victory speech ... "This race just proves that all you old geezers are slower than Molasses!"

Good times!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021pwd.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	25238897

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021 trophies.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	25238898

That is awesome, congratulations to you all!!

Comment

Give us your secrets!!

Comment

Greatness

Comment

Back to back for Conner? Congrats to him.......and you as well I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
            Back to back for Conner? Congrats to him.......and you as well I suppose.
            Yep. Last year he took all the marbles, too.
            There were a few bitter parents.
            One that's in his last year, and really wanted to win one.
            One that's the ex-cubmaster's son, that really wanted to win his last year.
            But especially the one that had dominated ... until we joined the pack!

The smack talk was fierce this year!
            The ex-cubmaster raced against me, and he really wanted to win, as well.
            I offered him the second place trophy, before the race started!
            After the race, I told him "see, if you'd have taken your trophy earlier, you could be at home with a cold drink by now!"

Comment

Congrats to both of y'all.

Comment

Awsome deal. We had ours last weekend. So you have an abs track and software as well? We got ours last year and it really changed the way we run the races.

My son won in his den (Bears) and second overall in the pack.

Congratulations Konnor and dad. Always great memories

Comment

Originally posted by Ten Ring View Post
                  Awsome deal. We had ours last weekend. So you have an abs track and software as well? We got ours last year and it really changed the way we run the races.

My son won in his den (Bears) and second overall in the pack.

Congratulations Konnor and dad. Always great memories
                  We have a 42' aluminum best track, and a new bold timer ... running with grand prix software. The timer displays the place for each lane, above the lane and then you can look at another screen, off to the side where it's supposed to cycle through the time for each lane. It wouldn't do ANYTHING!

I have a Derby Magic timer at home, and it works flawlessly, with a lot less parts!

What Council and District are y'all in?
                  We're in Sam Houston and Brazos district. As of yesterday, we don't have a district race, but I talked to one of the executives last night, hoping to get one started.

Comment

Loved those times

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                      We have a 42' aluminum best track, and a new bold timer ... running with grand prix software. The timer displays the place for each lane, above the lane and then you can look at another screen, off to the side where it's supposed to cycle through the time for each lane. It wouldn't do ANYTHING!

I have a Derby Magic timer at home, and it works flawlessly, with a lot less parts!

What Council and District are y'all in?
                      We're in Sam Houston and Brazos district. As of yesterday, we don't have a district race, but I talked to one of the executives last night, hoping to get one started.
                      For some reason I can't remember what our software and timer are called. Its an ABS plastic track with timer. This is our second year with it. Before we had an old 4 lane wood track that you could only run two lanes on. It was also a lot harder to set up. With the new track its about and hour to an hour and a half to set up and set down, plus we run the cars fast and cuts our pinewood derby race day to about a third. Plus the kids love hearing it announce which place they came in.

We are based in Lorena, just outside of Waco, so we are in the Longhorn Council and Heart O' Texas District. I don't belive there has been any district race started for us either.

Comment

Congrats to the young men................

Comment

That's awesome!

Not to take away from your original thread, but...

I've always thought it would be cool for a local bar or brewery to have a Pine Wood Derby night for adults. Like a bowling league or a cornhole tournament or something. It would probably be too complicated or obnoxiously competitive. But, I would totally be into it.

Anyway...
                          Congrats to the boy! Memories he'll never forget. I still have my 2nd place trophy from ole' Pack 130's Pine Wood Derby. (I was robbed!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by rswell2 View Post
                            That's awesome!

Not to take away from your original thread, but...

I've always thought it would be cool for a local bar or brewery to have a Pine Wood Derby night for adults. Like a bowling league or a cornhole tournament or something. It would probably be too complicated or obnoxiously competitive. But, I would totally be into it.

Anyway...
                            Congrats to the boy! Memories he'll never forget. I still have my 2nd place trophy from ole' Pack 130's Pine Wood Derby. (I was robbed!!!)
                            There is actually a NPWDL (National Pinewood Derby League) where grown men build cars, mail them in, and race, once a month. These guys are SERIOUS. If my memory isn't failing me, first and second place come down to hundreths or thousandths of a second ... and these cars are running consistent 2.9xx second runs, on the same track that we're getting 3.06x second runs. Doesn't seem like much, but it's hard to shave off time when you get in the 3.0s.

Comment

Originally posted by rswell2 View Post
                              These used to be a bar in Port A that had weekly belt sander races...hyper competitive and they even played the National Anthem before the start!

Comment

Working...
                              X