HOA legal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
    Those are nothing more than scare tactics, they can place a lein on your property but can't outright foreclose on you. In my experience its all just bull**** intimidation tactics.
    That is what my aunt thought (real stubborn) she don't have her house no more (Baytown). HOA got it, and sold it, to cover their fees, then they gave her what was left. They sold it real low too to one of the HOA members family.

Be real careful just ignoring their mail etc. She did get a lawyer eventually, lawyer basically said she was screwed because she ignored their mail for over a year.
    Last edited by Falling; 01-11-2021, 06:46 PM.

Comment

No way they foreclose or get him
      Evicted from his house. They can put a lien on the property and probably mess his credit up. It’s a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
        No way they foreclose or get him
        Evicted from his house. They can put a lien on the property and probably mess his credit up. It’s a pain.
        ^^ this. Only place that can foreclose on him is the lender. But the HOA dastards will put a lien on a property.

Comment

HOA’s can go suck a fart.

Comment

HOA legal question

Those are nothing more than scare tactics, they can place a lein on your property but can't outright foreclose on you. In my experience its all just bull**** intimidation tactics.
            I am on the board of my neighborhood. No one has ever gotten to the point of legal in my neighborhood. You would be surprised who can’t/won’t pay their dues of 600.00 but live in a 450,000 dollar home with high end cars. Some people know the system very well. As long as they pay anything nothing a HOA can do.

To the people who hate HOA’s I completely understand. Our neighborhood has amenities plus a fishing lake. There is tons of maintenance on everything and things cost money.

Just remember every single person that bought a home in our HOA signed the documents agreeing to the rules.

I feel sorry for your friend OP.

If you fail to pay your HOA or COA assessments in Texas, the association can usually get a lien on your home and may foreclose on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by manwitaplan; 01-11-2021, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Your wrong.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SharpEnd View Post
                ^^ this. Only place that can foreclose on him is the lender. But the HOA dastards will put a lien on a property.
                ...and your wrong (or your Google search was wrong [emoji12])

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

All HAS might not operate under the same bylaws, but our in Flour Bluff cannot foreclose but for sure can file the lien.

Comment

I agree with the above post about communication, 2020 COVID, lost job, etc, etc and ask for a payment plan. Avoiding them is probably the worst plan of “ no action”. Get in front of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                      I am on our HOA board of a 400+ home neighborhood. What I would advise him is to communicate with the board and not ignore it. The legal fees seem high for only being a year behind. Board can waive the fees. We rarely waive the legal fees however we will waive late fees and interest. Get with the board or their management company and set up a payment plan. if we had someone come to us and tell us they could not pay their dues due special situation the last thing we would want to do is pile on legal fees. We go the legal route with people who ignore it or set up payment plans and then don't pay. Tell him to talk to them.
                      This, I was on a board as well and this is typically the route we would take unless the homeowner was habitually late or tried to just ignore the non payment.

Comment

Some light reading. Check out the following Tx property codes about halfway down the page.

209.0062, 209.0063, 209.0064, 209.008-209.0011

Comment

HOA's are just breeding grounds for karen's and wanna be dictators. they only have power if people keep buying into them

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                            If a board member of an HOA contacted the PD to enforce a rule they were either an idiot or the weren’t really a board member and just a neighbor that was pizzed about something. HOA boards have finite by-laws they adhere to which includes rules for enforcements.
                            HOAs only suck until you really need them. If you bought a really nice house in a nice neighborhood and wanted to sell it but nobody made an offer because your neighbors methhead son has his multi colored ‘92 Honda Accord parked in the front grass with a plethora of car parts and tires strewn about the yard and driveway with weeds grown up all around, then you wouldn’t think the HOA sucked but the metheads dad would.
                            It’s all perspective.
                            Everything you just described is a violation of city laws and died restrictions. You can go to the city to get all of those things addressed faster and probably better than through an HOA.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                              HOA's are just breeding grounds for karen's and wanna be dictators. they only have power if people keep buying into them
                              Those Karen's and wanna be dictators only have power if people with common sense don't step up to be on the board. It's when people ignore their HOA board that they can get out of control.

Comment

Daaaaang!! Twelve Hundo HOA dues?!? Mine are $225/year with multiple acreage estate sized lots, and 4 large ponds to fish from and a park. Lots of 4K plus sqft homes in here so it’s far from a slum hood. I can’t imagine what would drive $1200 HOA dues

Comment

Working...
                                X